• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec Kuhler 950 want to adjust fan speed without the softare provided

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

s8n

Registered
hi OC members , im trying to do some troubleshooting atm and i want to pull the USB cable that goes to my motherboard for the Antec Kuhler 950.

also i need to be able to adjust the Kuhler fans to my liking , there is software that comes with the Kuhler but you need it connected to USB to control it.

so yeah i need some other way of adjusting the fan speed

hi ATM............

i have tried both CPU_FAN and CHA_FAN1 and they behave the same

also ive been fooling around with Speedfan the last hour and it reports my CPU as -60 C

in HWMonitor the CPU temp is fine

wacky stuff

Did you try controlling it with Fan Xpert?
It's possible that your motherboard simply won't vary voltage for the fans plugged into it.

i didnt but i just tried it and it wont budge past 800 RPM

It's possible that your motherboard simply won't vary voltage for the fans plugged into it.

i definitely can hit high RPM but i have to use the software that came with the Antec and have the USB connected to the motherboard.

Well if your board's 3pin fan headers do not adjust fan speeds, and you don't want to use the software that came with the kuhler along with the USB to the mobo, then the only option left to you would be a fan controller.

This will allow you to manually set the fan speeds to your liking.

+1 for a rheostat type fan controller. Sunbeam rheobus extreme is a good one. Gives you and adjustment range from 0 to full speed. Some people object to the bright blue light knobs.

Thanks for the info but they really don't bother me since I don't sleep in the same room with the computer.

Well it's there for you (and the OP) just incase. I don't have the pc in my bedroom either, but it helped me dim the brightness. You're right tho, dang LED's are bright as all heck! :eek:

The question is the third wire... is it a true Tach?
Does it report RPM when plugged into the MB header?
Or is it actually a PWM Control lead, but Antec couldn't be bothered to follow standard pin layout for their "build-in" fan controller.
Aspecially since Antec claims these are PWM fans
http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=706543&pid=58&lan=nz

To know for sure, would need a molex to fan adapter. If the fan then runs at full speed, the 3th wire is NOT a tach wire
0366_MED.jpg

Back