• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading AMD Athlon 1640B to Intel Pentium G3258 Anniversary Edition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ST3V3

Hi, Would I be able to straight up swap my AMD Athlon 1640B Proccessor to the all new hyped up Intel Pentium G3258 Anniversary Edition?

If now, What would I need to do to swap them?

Thanks

(I am new, Don't be mean :D)

Nope. Square peg , round hole. :)

You would need a new motherboard and likely ram. What are your complete system specs?

Hi EarthDog,

I was thinking that, Its a Semi-Customized NEC Powermate VL370.
Standard Mobo
4gb RAM
AMD Athlon 1640B

What would be a pretty cheap Mobo that could take the Intel Pentium G3258 Anniversary Edition and around 4-8gb of RAM?

Thanks

Hi EarthDog,
Thanks for all your help. I have added this to my Birthday wishlist and will be ordering it pretty soon with the amazingly cheap new Intel Pentium G3258 Anniversary Edition.

I am not going to close this thread yet in case someone else has another mobo suggestion but thanks so much EarthDog.

Hi, EarthDog.

Just looking through the NewEgg catalogue, I saw THIS mobo (BIOSTAR Hi-Fi B85S3+ Ver. 6.x LGA 1150 Intel B85 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard), Would this be any good? I will not be hard core gaming really, Just some rendering and low intensity gaming like Minecraft etc.

Thanks

Hi EarthDog,

Yes, Perfect MOBO.

So cheap and on the compatibility list!

Thanks

Hi Steve & :welcome:

I googled the NEC Powermate VL370 and see there are a few cases. Do you have the micro-tower or the small form factor case?

ED does mATX fit into mBTX? IDK

Hi JLK03F150,

Im not sure, But when you open it up, The from comes off with the side and you have to lift the DVD drive and HDD to access the mobo.

Thanks

That sounds like the small form factor case. I've been doing some reading and I think you'll need another case if you get an mATX motherboard. The I/O and expansion slots are on opposite sides of the board. Also it is possible your power supply won't fit in an mATX case.

Can you post a photo of the back of your case so we can tell for sure?

Yes, I agree. I cannot post a photo of the back because my iPhone wont let me but having looked properly at my case and the new mobo, its exactly as you said. Thanks for everyones help.

Back