• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheapest place to buy win XP licenses?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d94

$30 a phone
so i just got hired into a new company, we're setting up a few pcs
and we need 3 more xp pro serials...so anyone know the cheapest place to buy em?

With software licenses, particularly a company as powerful as Microsoft, less expensive = less legitimate. The truth is, unless you qualify for something like a student or teacher edition then you're going to play close to list. This is because Microsoft has more than enough pull to "fix" the price.

So I highly recommend just buying some licenses from Newegg or the like. With a business, imho it's not worth saving a few bucks only to risk getting hit by the SPA for many thousand dollars in fines. A former employer of mine was audited and had to pony up more than $100k, which triggered layoffs.

Anyone familiar with Tech Soup? I am a partner in a not for profit LTD and was thinking I may need a few xp pro licenses and other software for use in the company (in the coming months, not today).

I think you can find XP Pro x3 or just 3 individuals for a little less than the egg.

Pinky said:
Anyone familiar with Tech Soup? I am a partner in a not for profit LTD and was thinking I may need a few xp pro licenses and other software for use in the company (in the coming months, not today).

If you are a true non-profit then tech soup is the only place to shop for MS software. The service is good, and the prices cannot be beat.

eaglescouter said:
If you are a true non-profit then tech soup is the only place to shop for MS software. The service is good, and the prices cannot be beat.

I looked over the M$ requirements and I think we fit the bill (they don't work with ALL not for profits). A few of our customers at my tech day job are not for profit which is how I know about Tech Soup. I'll think I'll register. They may require a Fed certificate for not-for-profit status, which costs $300 and we are in no hurry to file as we're not fully operational yet. It will be good to know we qualify for this though...

I paid $15 for my XP Pro :)

it's for students though, got it from the computer showcase at UofM...so I don't think this would fly at all for a business...

WhatTheSchmidt said:
I paid $15 for my XP Pro :)

it's for students though, got it from the computer showcase at UofM...so I don't think this would fly at all for a business...
Lucky you. XP Pro at my university is more expensive than at Newegg.

Pinky said:
I looked over the M$ requirements and I think we fit the bill (they don't work with ALL not for profits). A few of our customers at my tech day job are not for profit which is how I know about Tech Soup. I'll think I'll register. They may require a Fed certificate for not-for-profit status, which costs $300 and we are in no hurry to file as we're not fully operational yet. It will be good to know we qualify for this though...

If you do this and any business you deal with gets audited or flagged by MS you and they will find themselves embrolied in a lawsuit very quickly.

for individuals its not an issue, but as a reseller you would be ultimatly liable for every license that is registered as sold by you.

1) No selling outside of the classifieds.
2) No selling of software ANYWHERE on these forums.

-- David

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the techsoup link...
I've been wanting too do "refurbished computers" for Low-income people in need....
I've done like 5 or 6 since March,(from spare parts too dumpster dived stuff), and WORRIED about the M$ licensing thing...
Gave "refurbished" computers too some Low-Income families with school aged kids, that really needed, could use them, and were thankful... I gave them away for "free" or asked for funds that would get the computer "working", installing just for the cost of the part. Mostly memory issues, or a way too small HD...
KARMA is good....
I get all warm and fuzzy inside, knowing those kids can now do research/homework, abit a missing printer though,; and getting feedback from my part of the community, (very LOW income, I'm on disability too so I'm kinda forced too live in the "Ghetto").. It brings great feelings knowing I helped some Kids/families out that otherwize would be "left behind"...
LD
EDIT......
SilverSinkSam, this is THE most top reason besides wanting something "I" needed too access the classies, ie: getting "old" used cheap working parts..
I don't have/use PayPal so E-bay is out of the question..
Again Thanks SSS

Last edited:
Bal`thzar said:
If you do this and any business you deal with gets audited or flagged by MS you and they will find themselves embrolied in a lawsuit very quickly.

for individuals its not an issue, but as a reseller you would be ultimatly liable for every license that is registered as sold by you.

Reseller?

Hi Bobby. :)

I'm referring to a non-commercial business. Nothing to do with computers, computing, reselling, etc. Completely not-for-profit and 100% legit. I hope my posts were clear that the intent was to buy items for business use.

I looked into Tech Soup. They require Federal classification for 501c3 and we only have the incorporation at the state level at this time. It costs $300 to file the Federal paperwork, so we're going to hold off a while. At our current income/needs we wouldn't even save $300 in tech soup and tax exemption combined. :p

We have 4 years to register with the Fed. We're at least a year away from that stage. So... no soup for me!

Hi Kevin

Pinky said:
Reseller?

Hi Bobby. :)

I'm referring to a non-commercial business. Nothing to do with computers, computing, reselling, etc. Completely not-for-profit and 100% legit. I hope my posts were clear that the intent was to buy items for business use.

I looked into Tech Soup. They require Federal classification for 501c3 and we only have the incorporation at the state level at this time. It costs $300 to file the Federal paperwork, so we're going to hold off a while. At our current income/needs we wouldn't even save $300 in tech soup and tax exemption combined. :p

We have 4 years to register with the Fed. We're at least a year away from that stage. So... no soup for me!

Bobby, just a point of clarification - I wasn't inquiring for my day job. I re-read your post and I think you were referring to the computer company I work for. Our clients go to Tech Soup themselves, I only know this by relation and having seen the prices they get on the software.

The not for profit is a corporation I started with some friends to rebuild remote structures in the Adirondack backcountry. I figure 3 PCs for the primary officers to do book keeping, mapping/gps work, and a single copy of photoshop/equivelent for photo manipulation and web dev.

Pinky said:
Bobby, just a point of clarification - I wasn't inquiring for my day job. I re-read your post and I think you were referring to the computer company I work for. Our clients go to Tech Soup themselves, I only know this by relation and having seen the prices they get on the software.

The not for profit is a corporation I started with some friends to rebuild remote structures in the Adirondack backcountry. I figure 3 PCs for the primary officers to do book keeping, mapping/gps work, and a single copy of photoshop/equivelent for photo manipulation and web dev.

M$ changed thier pricing on not for profits by the way.

not for profits can not get the following packages
Vista home
Vista Home premium

cost on the following is
VIsta Ultimate (you have to get vista business premium with SAS) $92
Vista business premium $87

apparantly Evil Bill decided that not for profits were getting a free ride.

Bal`thzar said:
M$ changed thier pricing on not for profits by the way.

not for profits can not get the following packages
Vista home
Vista Home premium

cost on the following is
VIsta Ultimate (you have to get vista business premium with SAS) $92
Vista business premium $87

apparantly Evil Bill decided that not for profits were getting a free ride.

Something is wrong here. Tech Soup just charges a processing/administrative fee for software that MS gives to them.

Back