• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build v2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spawn-Inc

now that the new z97 boards are out i'm now debating on waiting for the broadwell or just go with devils canyon.

here is what i'm looking at
ram: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 8GB 1600 8-8-8-24
video card: GTX 780 likely EVGA
cpu: 4970k or wait for broadwell

motherboard: evga classified or GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-Gaming G1 WIFI-BK

i just wish the evga wasn't an Eatx (my case will fit it) and likely won't get the full use of the board's features.

my goal's are gaming, oc'ing as much as water will get me and longevity.

messy post but hopefully it makes sense.

Thanks!

Last edited:
i take it your a gigabyte fanboy then lol. i'm looking into m.2 boards at the moment.

Save some money on the ram. Those Dom Plat's, while pretty, are pretty expensive compared to anything else (last time I checked).

EDIT: Yeah $130 for 8GB DDR3 1600? They aren't that pretty (to me)...

i will ditch the dom and get one of the vengeance series.

back to the board, they all have features i want but none seem to have everything in one, arg!

i notice the more OC boards include a second cpu pin connector, would i make use of that on water cooling or is that something for LN2?

m.2 isn't super important, Sata express would suffice from my understanding.

What features do you require that are missing?

On water, even chilled water, you wouldn't use that much power. That us for DI/LN2, yes.

lol, marketing is playing havoc with my mind!

-i like the audio focus on the gigabyte gaming g1, but i'm not an audio file so it's just a waste of money for me.

-i like the Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2201, but i suspect that's more marketing hype then anything else.

-i like that EVGA seems to focus on overclocking, but it doesn't have M.2 or sata express and costs a boat load.

- i like the asrock extreme9 that seems to have just come out but the black/blue is nasty. other then that it's all i can think of that i don't like about it. so i think that might be my current choice.

EDIT: and now the fight is between the Asrock Extreme9 and OC formula...

Last edited:
I went through a similar mindset, but, I was looking sub-$200 for a motherboard. Ultimately, I went with what looked good. I was beating my head off of a wall comparing ports and slots and audio and lan and...

Find one or two you like, look up the reviews and comparisons that are all over the net, and go from there.

I personally went with the MSI gaming 5. That and the Gaming 7 had some pretty positive reviews.

If you don't like the appearance of the ASRock, don't get it. Simple as that. Or, get a case without a window and say "Screw it."

unless you're using dry ice or liquid nitrogen you don't need a top tier board. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with spending all the extra cash if you have the financial means and mindset to do so.

The VRM componentry on the top tier boards tends to be better than on, say, a $150 board, but that doesn't mean that the $150 board can't keep your CPU at 5Ghz for the next 4 or 5 years. The voltage regulation components will likely run hotter on the cheaper board, but they'll get the job done. I have a maximus IV extreme and I regret having spent nearly $400 when I could have spent $165 and had the same performance. I should have put the money into more SSD capacity or something else useful like that. You're looking at thoroughbreds when all you need is a decent mule.

I think the extreme6 will fit my needs and I don't mind the blue anymore. I spent 4 hours last night looking and reading. Thanks for the all the guys! I will be posting a thread of an update on my water system once the build is done. I haven't cleaned it in 3 years and have been running feser dye to see how it does.

Thxe Extreme6 comes highly reviewed. It's a good board.

ASRock Super Alloy
- XXL Aluminum Alloy Heatsink
- Premium Alloy Choke (Reduces 70% core loss compared to iron powder choke)
- Dual-Stack MOSFET (DSM)
- NexFET™ MOSFET
- Nichicon 12K Platinum Caps (100% Japan made high quality conductive polymer capacitors)
- Sapphire Black PCB
Supports 5th Generation Intel® Core™ i7/i5/i3/Pentium®/Celeron® Processors (Socket 1150)
Supports New 4th and 4th Generation Intel® Xeon®/Core™ i7/i5/i3/Pentium®/Celeron® Processors (Socket 1150)
Digi Power, 12 Power Phase design
Supports Dual Channel DDR3 3200+(OC), 15μ Gold Contact in DIMM Slots
2 PCIe 3.0 x16, 1 PCIe 2.0 x16, 2 PCIe 2.0 x1, 1 mini-PCIe, 15μ Gold Contact in VGA PCIe Slot (PCIE2)
Supports AMD Quad CrossFireX™ and NVIDIA® Quad SLI™
Graphics Output Options: DVI-I, HDMI, DisplayPort
7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection (Realtek ALC1150 Audio Codec), Supports Purity Sound™ 2 & DTS Connect
Dual LAN: 1 Intel® Gigabit LAN, 1 Realtek Gigabit LAN
1 SATA Express, 10 SATA3, 1 eSATA, 1 Ultra M.2 (PCIe Gen3 x4), 1 M.2 (PCIe Gen2 x2 & SATA, Supports 30mm, 42mm, 60mm, 80mm, 110mm M.2 devices), 10 USB 3.0 (4 Front, 6 Rear), 5 USB 2.0 (4 Front, 1 Vertical Type A)
1 COM Port Header, 1 Thunderbolt™ AIC Connector
Supports ASRock HDD Saver Technology, Full Spike Protection, ASRock Cloud, APP Shop, Full HD UEFI

Gotta love the dual m.2
You'll never use the 16 phase power design to its full potential on air or water though. You'd have to refrigerate with dry ice or Ln2 for that.

Last edited:
g.skill ares ram comes in 1866 and 2133 speeds in a nearly matching metallic blue color. If you're going for matching colors. ;)

I looked at the same combo. Had that ram, actually. Exchanged it for red heatsinked 2133.

g.skill ares ram comes in 1866 and 2133 speeds in a nearly matching metallic blue color. If you're going for matching colors. ;)

I looked at the same combo. Had that ram, actually. Exchanged it for red heatsinked 2133.

I have the blue Ares 2133 with the Extreme6.
It is a perfect match :)

i was going to get the gskill sniper low voltage series, is it worth the extra $15 it would cost? 1.25v vs 1.5v.

i was going to get the gskill sniper low voltage series, is it worth the extra $15 it would cost? 1.25v vs 1.5v.

1.25V RAM is going to be gentler on the imc than 1.5V RAM. It makes absolutely no difference though as the imc is rated for 1.5V.

On the bright side, 1.25V RAM should have some overclocking headroom between its stock voltage and 1.5V. You'd have to ask yourself why you didn't just buy 1.5V 2133Mhz RAM in the first place though.

I didn't realize they'd gotten DDR3 voltage that low. Last time I checked, lowest was 1.35V.

I think the extreme 6 is a good choice, I have 2 extreme 9's coming, a dipstiks crayon on preorder and 2400 ram on the way, the extreme 6 was my first choice but with the 9 you get 2 pcie x16 slots for sli.

Back