• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions on this build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Corporato

Hi everyone,
I'm planning on building a new computer and I've chosen all the parts. I would love to hear any opinions on specific parts and suggestions on what I should change.

Case: Corsair Graphite 760T (Windowed)
Motherboard: ASRock Extreme 4
Processor: Intel Core i5-4690k
Graphic card: MSI Radeon R9 290X
SSD: Samsung Pro 840 120GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/2TB
Processor cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury (4x4GB)
Fans: Corsair AF 120mm/140mm

Thanks in advance, Corporato.

Build looks good to me, the only thing that sticks out is you don't mention the Ram Mhz and do you really need 16g? Just post exactly what sticks they are so we know. Thanks and Welcome.

Looks good to me...but I do not see a power supply! Assuming you only plan on a single card, a quality (see link in Sig) 550w psu will handle this pc with no problems.

Ram can go 2x8gb if you want 16, but 8gb is good for a gaming machine.

If you want to save money and play games at 1080p, get a 290 instead of 290x. You can also get a Samsung 840 evo instead of the pro.

I'm gonna get the 1600Mhz ones. And first off the 4x4 set would look great. And I also do video and photo editing.

I haven't chosen a power supply yet so I'm open to suggestions. And the pro attracted me because of the 2bit Nand.

What does the 2bit nand do for you?

I suggested it to him. It's a fact. 2 bit nand lasts longer than 3 bit nand. You can put more write cycles on it than 3 bit.

Here's an explanation from a British person

He currently has 1 1080P monitor but plans to upgrade to 1440P or multiple monitors in the near future, so I suggested the 290X.

I'm gonna get the 1600Mhz ones. And first off the 4x4 set would look great. And I also do video and photo editing.
Well just make sure you're at least getting Cl9 timings.

And here's a vote for OCN to have his disturbing avatars removed ;)

I suggested it to him. It's a fact. 2 bit nand lasts longer than 3 bit nand. You can put more write cycles on it than 3 bit.

Here's an explanation from a British person

He currently has 1 1080P monitor but plans to upgrade to 1440P or multiple monitors in the near future, so I suggested the 290X.
Writes aren't an issue.. But ok. Look at the some of the sites that have been doing endurance testing ... Even on TLC nand.

You know him or something?

He's my buddy. I've been helping him put a system together on Skype. My research on SSDs says MLC is higher endurance than TLC, and so does that British guy, and I trust British people. If you're sure TLC is going to be good enough long term though then he should go with an EVO for sure. He's in Europe. Estonia. Parts selection is slightly limited for him.

He wanted to go SLI 280X at one point but I suggested that he go 290X instead for now and if need be add another one later. I see no sanity in SLI/XFire with 2 "less than top tier" cards. The possible downsides (microstutter, incompatability) aren't worth it.

He also wanted an (he didn't list it here) CX750M PSU. I suggested that instead for a higher calibur build like this he should go with a Seasonic SSR 80+Gold in the 600-650W range. That's if he doesn't plan to add another card. If he does I'm not too familiar with higher wattage PSUs so maybe somebody could help him with that. When he comes back tomorrow he can tell you what his parts source is.

I miss Knufire :(... wonder where he went. That guy could really throw a build together.

Last edited:
If you can swing an i7 I'd consider it. I'm regularly surprised how often I am using all my cores lately. Been converting a bunch of movies to mp4 with handbrake.

Last edited:
I miss Knufire ... wonder where he went. That guy could really throw a build together.
He sure could, I think he was in college, maybe busy with the books?

He's my buddy. I've been helping him put a system together on Skype. My research on SSDs says MLC is higher endurance than TLC, and so does that British guy, and I trust British people. If you're sure TLC is going to be good enough long term though then he should go with an EVO for sure.
"I trust British people" you are hilarious...

I'm mobile or I'd link you, but Google "SSD endurance test " and read a couple of those.

Guys he wants PSU suggestions. I suggested something like a Seasonic SSR650
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...118&cm_re=seasonic_ssr-_-17-151-118-_-Product

But he could just as easily go with a corsair CX500 or CX600 and save some money. I had a bad experience with a CX that died on a friend's computer I built not to long ago so I've started steering away from them.

Oi, just because Hollywood keeps type casting us as evil overlords or wibbling idiots doesn't mean we are all like that, lol.

You're wrong, Hollywood casts Brits as evil GENIUSES. That's much better than just evil. Hugh Grant was just about the only guy playing a bumbling idiot in American movies that I can recall. Look at the guy who played Khan in Star Trek Into Darkness, evil genius. He was evil, but he was the smartest guy in the movie.

We are helping him... I can confirm the PSU Mandrake chose will work great, but he can get away with something not as 'Seasonicy', LOL! If he chooses.

Being serious, any Corsair will due (some are better than others, but none are zOMG stay away!!). Seasonic, just about the entire line is good or better but you pay a premium for that. It is up to you if you want to spend the premium or not. On my rigs, I do, but if I need $20 for anything, a lesser costing, but QUALITY model will be fine.

Back