• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions for a UPS.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

t3chHungry

Registered
I have a 3 pc's, one with a 1000 watt psu, another with a 450 watt psu, and the third with a 550 watt psu. I need a ups to get me through the momentary power interruptions and allow me to shut down when they become more of an outage. I'm clueless as to the best solution. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

I recommend getting an 2 x APC 550's for the 450 and 550 and an APC 750 for the 1000 watt. These all have serial/USB connectors which will shut down the machines when power gets to low on the battery.

Also the monitors play a big role in system uptime it isvery hard to recommend the best PSU but one for all 3 will be very expensive if that is your ultimate goal.

So this will help you but most likely is not the final solution.

Also the monitors play a big role in system uptime it isvery hard to recommend the best PSU but one for all 3 will be very expensive if that is your ultimate goal.

True about the monitors. I have 2 rigs and plan on having one UPS for both. My plan is to have vnc on the second computer so that in the event of a power cut I can remotely utilize the second computer from my primary computer without having to faff around unplugging monitor cables.

You say you have 1000watt, 450watt and 500watt PSU's in the rig. It's more relevant to try to work out how much the computers actually consume in terms of power and computer UPS size that way.

Thanks for your thoughts. 2 of the pc's are on the same circuit with the 1000 watt on another circuit. I wasn't sure if I needed to match watt for watt. So, if a 750 would be adequate, then it has more to do with the pc's peak power range?

Then my set-up could be the 450wtt and the 550wtt together on one of these units.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101006

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101067

With a second identical ups backing-up the 1000wtt pc. A third ups could be bought down the road reflecting any upgrades in the two smaller pc's.
I was mostly hung up on matching the ups to the psu and the initial cost involved.
lol...Speaking of cost it looks less expensive to cover the two smaller units with their own ups.

Last edited:
Yeah those should be fine just depending still on the monitors and how long you want them to stay up in case of an outage. This of course is personal preference.

Also you can only connect one PC to one UPS. So if you want the UPS to auto-shutdown your computer the 2 on 1 won't work.

If you go to the APC website you can input in your system specs and uptime and they match up a good system for you.

I've dealt more with remote servers and UPS's, say in the middle of an oil field. The 1500 I've used as a rackmount for a Dell PowerEdge 2950 and it lasted about 30minutes with no monitor.

Not true about it only being able to shut down one computer. It is possible to do remote shutdowns on multiple computers, at least I've seen it on a belkin unit so I wouldn't believe that a large UPS wouldn't have a similar solution. Small APC units FTW, cheap, great warranties, I doubt cheap ones will have serial as said above though - maybe the SmartUPS series. APC BackUPS don't have serial connectors anymore as I understand it.

Do any of you have suggestions for a descent "Online / Double-Conversion" UPS in the 1000VA range for $500 or so? This is really for an Audio/DAW PC application, so clean power and zero switch time are a plus. The Tripp Lite series looks very intriguing and is right in my price range - but what else is worth a darn in double-conversion UPS's? I had a separate thread going, but I didn't get any other model/brand suggestions...

Thanks! :cool:

I talked with my APC rep and he said this is the smallest one they have and retails for over $1000 but a retailer may have it for less.

I personally only have dealt with APC because I have had nothing but good luck with them. I always felt I got what I paid for.

SKU-SURTA1500XL APC SMART-UPS RT 1500VA 120V
The email link didn't work that they gave me. Just got the Smart-UPS section and look for the SURTA1500XL.

Back