• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD/HDD combination

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firestrider

Can modern mechanical hard drives record HD TV, run a virus check, and install a program at the same time? If not what is the limitations?

If this would help: could you set up a drive array as a SSD for the work and standard mechanical drive for storage? The SSD would transfer the information when it was done or while it was doing the work.

Also I always thought that if ran two hard drive write intensive applications at the same time it would cause data corruption, is this the case?

Can modern mechanical hard drives record HD TV, run a virus check, and install a program at the same time? If not what is the limitations?

If this would help: could you set up a drive array as a SSD for the work and standard mechanical drive for storage? The SSD would transfer the information when it was done or while it was doing the work.

Also I always thought that if ran two hard drive write intensive applications at the same time it would cause data corruption, is this the case?

K

1) Yes you could but not only would it be incredibly unresponsive it would be very very very slow.

2) Uhm... not that i am aware of. What you are thinking of is using the SSD as a buffer for the hard drive... but thats what the actual buffer on the drive is for.

It's a good idea but not implemented anywhere to my knowledge, it order to be implemented you would need something to manage it, which might be software but most likely would be hardware... if i'm incorrect shoot me... but yeah i know what you're trying to say but i've never heard of that.

3) I don't see why it would cause data corruption unless you are using programs that either won't wait for the data to be written or you have bad hard drives. I have written on 2 hard drives before and it works fine. It's basically the same idea as RAID except you aren't splitting the data but writing different data.

It will work fine and data corruption shouldn't be an option under most circumstances.

Back