• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1155MHZ Fine.....1150??? WON'T BOOT????????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fiz

Okay, heres the prob, I have the kt7a-raid, TB1000@1144(104X11). When I try to boot at 100X11.5 it locks solid in windows, but if I go 105X11, its fine(not perfectly stable yet though). I am running at default voltage right now at 1144(havent updated the sig yet) and its rock solid. If I try for 1150 it locks up even at 1.80V!!!! I can't believe that I need .5V to get a measley 6MHZ. Also, whenever I run at 133 fsb, this thing becomes horribly unstable. I am wondering if its because I am using a 200fsb chip?? Anything over 107 starts giving me registry errors, even at 1GHZ(133X7.5). I have read soooooo much about people running this board at 140+, could it be the power supply? Its a 300W generic, I have 5 drives all together(cd-rom, cd-writer, dvd-rom, and 2 HDD's)And I am also running 6 fans all together. Please help!!! :(

whats the problem-if you boot at 1155 fine then why would you wanna be at 1150. The only pro is that you could get the multiplier down and raise the FSB to get there, that be the only advantage of running at a little lower mhz. Anyway you are definately runnuing out of power-try a 430watt, AMD PS. Then try the voltage at 1.85 or so and with good cooling you should break the 1.2 gig. 11x109 is definately possible with that board-=1199mhz, or you"COULD" get 11x133 =1463

The problem is that his board is behaving in a seemingly illogical manner and he wants to know why.

This could be a power issue, or a PCI/AGP issue. Detach all cards except video and all drives except boot drive and see if that helps. If you have more than one bootable drive, you can also try switching drives, in case it's a finicky drive. And if you can borrow a video card, in case that's the bottleneck...

Anyway, PCI doesn't like to go faster than its default 33 MHz, and increasing the FSB increases this. At 100, you have a 3:1 divider, and at 133 you have a 4:1 divider to bring the speed back down to 33. As AGP is really an extention of PCI, it is also finicky. (However, it is double the clock of PCI.)

Thank you. I'll give it a shot and see what happens. I just think its funny that it will POST at a high speed, if I lower it, it won't. LOLOLOLOL. Never saw this before. :) Thanks again.

There is defintiely something going on with some KT7As and their PCI/AGP devisors. Some of the "canned" settings don't seem to work correctly, not to mention that supposedly stable bios releases yield different OC results. WW OCs by multiplier better than WZ and YH, but from what I've seen lately, YH does better OCing the FSB. We seem to keep getting "half-baked" loaves.
That, having been said, with a 400W+ PSU, you should be able to achieve 1333-1488 Mhz.

Hoot

I wish they would just put one out that works!!!! LOL. That would be wonderful if I could get the speed that high, do you think i'll need watercooling, I want to get a GLOBALWIN WBK hsf, do you think that would be good enough? Thanks.

That's a good HSF. A lot depends upon the temperature inside your case and how high you wind up setting your core and i/o voltages to get what you want for speed. Would you be happy getting 1333 Mhz at 1.7V/3.4V? If so, the WBK will probably suit your needs. If you insist on running the voltage up to say, 1.85V/3.6V, that's a lot more wattage to dissipate and depending upon your case temp, you may find yourself in the warm zone. My experience with OCing has been that if you can keep the core at 45C or less, under load, you'll do fine OCing. Using the example of 1.85V on the core to get say, 1463 Mhz and plugging that into Radiate.exe, the power consumed will be 84W. If your case temperature is say, 25C and you don't want the core above 45C at high loading, you need a .24c/w HSF. Joe got .22c/w in his tests, so you should be okay.

Hoot

THAT'S GREAT!!!! I would be sooooooooooo happy to even get 1300, anythng above that is icing on my Tbird cake. My case temp is never ever above 23'C(i'm in a basement) I like to keep my volts alittle lower than some(2.2Vcore is nuts to me :) ) I will definitely get the WBK now. Thank you sooo much. I also got the radiate.exe prog to see the different wattages so I will have a better idea of what my temps will look like. Right now I am stuck with a stock hsf, the proc is producing about 60 watts now and thats all my current hsf can take. Thanks again hoot. :)

I have a KT7A-Raid board and had a T-Bird 1000. If you will set FSB to 133/33 and multiplyer to 8.5 you should be stable. If not up the voltage .50. I hope that this helps you.

Abit KT7A-Raid
T-Bird 1333/266 @1553 watercooled

Back