• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with MOBILE P4 3Ghz in a Desktop Case.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RAYOQ

:rolleyes: I have installed the MOBILE P4 3.06-GHz 533FSB 478-PIN PPGA CPU in an ABIT VT7 mobo. :bang head The machine boots but I only get half the stated speed. I was told the mobile P4 would perform the same on a desktop unit as in a laptop. :shrug: Is there something I need to do to get the full performance from this CPU? Have you heard of putting a mobile chip in a desktop unit? Any info would be very much appreciated. :confused:

Thanks,

Hey, Welcome to the forums! Did you go into your bios and check what multiplier and FSB the cpu is running at? You must make sure that these are at the right settings for your CPU or it will not run at it's rated speed. If the FSB and multiplier are at the correct settings, you might have to flash the bios on your mainboard for mobile CPU support.

i believe most desktop mobos adjust to the lower multi of mobile cpus. usually to half i think. my p4 laptop drops to a 14 multi (24 @ full power) try to see if your bios has a multi setting. i've used cpu msr on my laptop to adjust my multi when overclocking. maybe it would work with your setup.

Back