• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nintendo launches Firmware v 3.3, renders Twilight Hack and Freeloader useless

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IN-DEPTH: MAY NPD ANALYSIS

Battle Royale in the Software Market

As is common, Microsoft released its latest tie ratio for the Xbox 360 in its statements to the press on the latest NPD Group figures. (Here we will discuss lifetime tie ratios, the total number of software units sold divided by the total number of hardware units sold.) Last month the tie ratio was 7.6 and it rose to 7.7 in May. That puts the total number of Xbox 360 software units sold in the U.S. at 79 million in 31 months.

According to statements made by Sony, we estimate the PlayStation 3 tie ratio at 4.9, or 22 million units of software sold since the system launched 19 months ago. For comparison, it took both the Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii around 12 months to sell the same number of units of software.

To our best knowledge, no recent reports have been made on the Wii tie ratio. However, using the last known figure of 5.3 from March 2008, and rough estimates of the total number Wii software units sold in April and May 2008, we estimate the Wii tie ratio to be 5.4. Given the size of the installed base, that implies that 55 million units of Wii software have been sold in 19 months. For reference, it took the Xbox 360 a full 25 months to sell the same amount of software. Note that more than two Nintendo Wii software units have been sold for every PlayStation 3 unit sold since November 2006.

Here is some actual numbers on tie ratios. Looks like Nintendo's numbers have gone UP.

that is kinda the point too...
Nintendo doesn't have to have the highest attachment rate. If their consoles are in 1 million more homes say, they can have a significantly lower attachment rate and still out perform the other two consoles.

Although I agree, the Wii2 might be a tougher sell to *hardcore* gamers. A lot of people like Fudge said, moms, girlfriends, sisters etc will remember how fun elebits or DDR was on the WII. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your stance) the female vote is being targeted more and more and ultimately turning games like the Sims (which the original I really really liked) into Barbie's playhouse dressup factory. Its a fact of life that we just have to deal with. They have realized that they can lock in this clientell since there is now a market there and dont think it will go away any time soon

The Wii2 is going to be a tough sell.

It depends. I think the iphone is a similar product, technically inferior to pretty much all of it's rivals, but with a nice novelty interface. The 3G iphone is barely an upgrade, but there seems to be a market for it even amongst some iphone owners. The Wii 2 will sell just fine provided it is seen to be cool and provided it has another innovative novelty peripheral that suits girls, granddads and ****ed students.

Face it chaps. The Wii simply isn't for us gamers and geeks. It's for house-mums, socialities, pensioners and girls. Nintendo wins, we lose.

So I'm not a gamer 'cause I have a Wii? Well ****, Fudge, I'm honestly sorry that I'm somehow not as good as you 'cause I have a Wii and enjoy it. I'm really really sorry that I don't stack up to your view of what a 'gamer' is. Or maybe you just need to broaden your (apparently very narrow) view of what actually constitutes a gamer.

I take the tongue-in-cheek insults and snide remarks with a grain of salt. From Rainless dumping on every single thread I make about something newsworthy (like a firmware upgrade that renders homebrew useless . . hey, that's this thread) to ignorant, uninformed remarks about how the only games available on the system are minigame compilations and Disney cash-ins, but this, man, this takes the ****ing cake! Somehow I'm not a gamer 'cause I have a particular console?

How ****ing dare you! Moderating the Games forums has gone from a pleasure to a chore due to haughty, squabbling elitists like yourself, and I am getting sick and bloody tired of it. It takes a lot to get under my skin, Fudge, but man you did a freaking fantastic job of it with that comment. Credit where credit is due, brother. You trolled me but ****ing good.

Heaven forfend somebody actually enjoy something that you and your ilk may not like. Gaming is broader than you seem to think it is. Gaming still has it's elitist club apparently, but I, for one, am thankful that it is getting smaller by the day as people wake up and realize that everybody, yes everybody, plays games, and not everybody cares about things like polygon count and waggle; people just want to have fun games. Isn't that why we game, Fudge? Have you forgotten that?

Y'know what? I don't even bloody care. I'm going to go have some fun now. I've got Friday Night Fights to set up.

Must every news report turn into a flame war? Seriously, that's all that happens whenever news about some console is posted, it'll usually turn into a "the wii sux" or "ps3 is stupid" war. This was about homebrew on the Wii, not about your insecurities about console choice.

Also, it would appear that the Homebrew Channel is unaffected, as I can still use it.

Must every news report turn into a flame war?

You are correct. It should not. If it does, heads will roll.

Folks, if you are only posting in a thread to derail it, please stop now. I won't be so nice next time around. Just because the atmosphere is more relaxed in here does not mean that the rules have been relaxed. Thread-crapping won't be tolerated. You all know the rules because you have been stretching and bending them for far too long. It is getting a bit old.

You are correct. It should not. If it does, heads will roll.

Folks, if you are only posting in a thread to derail it, please stop now. I won't be so nice next time around. Just because the atmosphere is more relaxed in here does not mean that the rules have been relaxed. Thread-crapping won't be tolerated. You all know the rules because you have been stretching and bending them for far too long. It is getting a bit old.

The question at hand was the Wii's motivation for improvement: I think we're all in agreement that they have none.

The systems are selling and they were inexpensive to manufacture so they're making a profit.

I was only pointing out that having no motivation for improving is a problem in and of itself.

So I'm not a gamer 'cause I have a Wii? Well ****, Fudge, I'm honestly sorry that I'm somehow not as good as you 'cause I have a Wii and enjoy it. I'm really really sorry that I don't stack up to your view of what a 'gamer' is. Or maybe you just need to broaden your (apparently very narrow) view of what actually constitutes a gamer.

I take the tongue-in-cheek insults and snide remarks with a grain of salt. From Rainless dumping on every single thread I make about something newsworthy (like a firmware upgrade that renders homebrew useless . . hey, that's this thread) to ignorant, uninformed remarks about how the only games available on the system are minigame compilations and Disney cash-ins, but this, man, this takes the ****ing cake! Somehow I'm not a gamer 'cause I have a particular console?

How ****ing dare you! Moderating the Games forums has gone from a pleasure to a chore due to haughty, squabbling elitists like yourself, and I am getting sick and bloody tired of it. It takes a lot to get under my skin, Fudge, but man you did a freaking fantastic job of it with that comment. Credit where credit is due, brother. You trolled me but ****ing good.

Heaven forfend somebody actually enjoy something that you and your ilk may not like. Gaming is broader than you seem to think it is. Gaming still has it's elitist club apparently, but I, for one, am thankful that it is getting smaller by the day as people wake up and realize that everybody, yes everybody, plays games, and not everybody cares about things like polygon count and waggle; people just want to have fun games. Isn't that why we game, Fudge? Have you forgotten that?

Y'know what? I don't even bloody care. I'm going to go have some fun now. I've got Friday Night Fights to set up.

Oh, get over yourself :rolleyes: Nothing was directed at YOU. If that's all it takes for you to go off the deep end. I hope nobody cuts you of in traffic or says something bad about your momma. You can disagree without getting irate you know? Rainless and I do it all the time in a civil manner and take jabs at each other in good jest......

Someow I also fail to see how saying that Nintendo is marketing to a broader range of people than just gamers is a BAD thing...... geez. I've said NUMEROUS times that I could never get my wife to play games until the Wii. Now we're just waiting on some titles that she can get into as much as Galaxy and Wii Sports (Bowling to be precise)....

Last edited:
Fudge why do you continue this crap? Nade already came in and said to quite it. Your just asking for more trouble.

So the home brew channel still works, can someone else confirm this?

I'm sorry but when a MOD comes in and curses me out for saying something non offensive, I have to stick up for myself.... If they want to ban me fine, but that would be pretty petty to do that to somebody who is trying to be civil. Also, if you're going to quote me quote the WHOLE thing so it is not taken out of context.

I honestly think an apology is in order...... I was ATTACKED for no reason by somebody whom I've never really had a beef with and have tried to be friendly with and is a MOD!

Last edited:
I'm sorry but when a MOD comes in and curses me out for saying something non offensive, I have to stick up for myself.... If they want to ban me fine, but that would be pretty petty to do that to somebody who is trying to be civil. Also, if you're going to quote me quote the WHOLE thing so it is not taken out of context.

He quoted you before you edited it. Is Wii bashing necessary in every thread about the Wii. I don't like the Wii either, but I don't come into every thread and bash it.

He quoted you before you edited it. Is Wii bashing necessary in every thread about the Wii. I don't like the Wii either, but I don't come into every thread and bash it.

That's just it! I didn't bash it! I said that it was not made for us geeks and gamers but for various types of people who would not normally play games. Somehow this is contrued as bashing it or saying something bad? I see that as a good thing, getting mass exposure and massive sales by appealing to masses.

I apologize if that is somehow considered negative and slanderous. Unlike Rainless, I think it was brilliant of Nintendo. If I've ever said anything negative about the Wii it has been about the software selection and the underpowered graphic but in the "OFFENDING" post that was NEVER BROUGHT UP!

Heck, when people were whining about it not having a hard drive, I was the first on only one to say "C'mon guys it's not like the game saves of VC games are that big and 8GB SD cards are under $30 now".

Finally, The only edit I made to the post was to correct spelling, not content. I'm anal like that.

That's my last post on this topic. I'm so irritated right now...... .

Last edited:
Fudge, do you even read thread titles, man? The title of this thread is " Nintendo launches Firmware v 3.3, renders Twilight Hack and Freeloader useless" and not about who the frigging wii appeals to or what kind of company Nintendo is and how they appeal to their customers. Quit derailing threads by going off on a rant about the company and stick to the actual subject of the thread. And rainless is just as bad with the sidetracking of the thread too. Before you post something, think about how the post pertains to the thread in question, man.

The question at hand was the Wii's motivation for improvement: I think we're all in agreement that they have none.

The systems are selling and they were inexpensive to manufacture so they're making a profit.

I was only pointing out that having no motivation for improving is a problem in and of itself.

This is how it should be put but if you read a few posts that detract from the thread, you will see a liberal sprinkling of insults and innuendo directed at those who own this game system. Now that is not cool. You guys know the drill with ATI v/s NVidia, AMD v/s Intel. Just follow the very same rules instead of trolling (not pointing you out Rainman, this is in general) endlessly on how X sucks and those who use X suck as well...

Bear in mind, this is not taking away your right to voice an opinion on the system, but please keep it factual and to the point. Remember that we have folks who own all kinds of hardware and continually telling them off is not very nice. If you are not into a particular system then try not to jump in a thread with the sole intention of poking fun at it or its users. You don't see me in this forum often, do ya? ;)

Last edited:
As far as the firmware rendering Twilight Hack and Freeloader useless... I think it's a mistake.

Look at the PSP: They've got a third of the portable market (and they're closing-in on having HALF the portable market... an all time record for any company going against nintendo's gameboy of the year...) largely because the system is so easy to hack and, once it's hacked, you can do almost anything with it.

The Gamecube you could hack with a damned screwdriver... which I'm sure helped boost sales there. So why bother with tripping up the hackers?

because Nintendo has hated us Europeans for some reason or another since their consoles began >_<

Just because yes the Wii was aimed at bringing gaming to families doesn't mean you are instantly a casual gamer for owning one. Jees the average person would think I was sad just for owning Super Mario Galaxy... but people in the "know" or "gaming" would know just what the game's all about.

Anyways I don't own the freeloader and everyone could see this coming too since they did it already in the past anyway. Sucks for the people who own it but yeah like I said above Nintendo just has the thing about hating Europe.
Aren't they or wern't they under investigation in Europe for price fixing too? They really hate people importing games.

Added thread subscription.

Good to have you aboard! :beer:

Though I fear this could turn into just another green room... ;)

because Nintendo has hated us Europeans for some reason or another since their consoles began >_<

Just because yes the Wii was aimed at bringing gaming to families doesn't mean you are instantly a casual gamer for owning one. Jees the average person would think I was sad just for owning Super Mario Galaxy... but people in the "know" or "gaming" would know just what the games all about.

Anyways I don't own the freeloader and everyone could see this coming too since they did it already in the past anyway. Sucks for the people who own it but yeah like I said above Nintendo just has the thing about hating Europe.
Aren't they or wern't they under investigation in Europe for price fixing too? They really hate people importing games.

I would say you were wrong about the "Europe" thing... but then I bought a Wii while I was in France. I probably would've kept it too (couldn't find a buyer for a while) but what you're saying isn't far from the truth: PS3 is region free. Any game works in any region. MOST 360 games are region free. Even the DS... and every other Nintendo handheld ever made... is region free. But they decided to HARDLOCK the Wii. (And knowing I was soon going to be moving back to the states... my Euro-Wii had to go.)

Why? Freeloader's been running on the Wii for almost two years now. Why bother disabling it NOW? They could've disabled it in the very first pack simply by blocking out its ID number. It doesn't effect Japan at all and it probably won't do much to hurt U.S. sales...

...but it sure does put the finger up at Europe doesn't it?

Any other takes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back