• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Screw broke off on reservoir.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SkyChotik

Well, I have a question.

The head of my screw broke off in my reservoir where my pump screws in.
I'm rigged it to work, but I was wondering if anybody had any ideas how to get the screw out so I can stop worrying.

Is there anything left that you can grab on to? Or is it flat to you?

If you can feel it, you can try using needle nose pliers to twist it out.

If not you may be stuck very carefully drilling it out with a small bit.

@Nebulous Can't really take a picture without dissassembling my loop.

@Jannus67 I like the small drill bit idea, drill it out in the center, and break it apart after that, thanks!

Well be careful drilling it. Metal shavings will drop into the res and if they get into the pump's impeller you're going to have worse problems than a broken screw.

Another thing to watch out is the metal shavings flying around and getting stuck somewhere on the mobo/vid card/memory.

Agreed with Neb, I was basing my suggestion in that you were talking about a normal ring house clamp screw and you just need to get rid of it. If you can post any sort of a picture that could give a better idea we may be able to come up with a suggestion for you.

Well be careful drilling it. Metal shavings will drop into the res and if they get into the pump's impeller you're going to have worse problems than a broken screw.

Another thing to watch out is the metal shavings flying around and getting stuck somewhere on the mobo/vid card/memory.

It's where the pump attaches to the bay res. A screw is stuck in it so I can't screw my pump down all the way without a nut, and I just don't like that.

Metal shavings wouldn't get into it, and worst-case scenario after getting it out, I'd just need to use some epoxy putty to fill the remainder of the hole when I out in a screw.

I think it would probably be pretty difficult to center punch a tiny reservoir bolt to use one of those extractors. If you push the pump down onto to res can you get a handle on the bolt, if so a small pair of vicegrips might do the trick.

I remember stripping a head on a screw on a waterblock. I epoxied a screwdriver using JB weld onto the stripped screw and waited 2 days for it to completely set. Damaged screw came right out.

Dunno, poist pics, not a lot we can do. How do you break a screw on a res in the first place?

Yeah, that's exactly what I am thinking. He needs to becareful. Is it the screw going from the acetal made pump body to a acrylic reservoir? Too many variables with lots of things that can go wrong and not having pics won't help.

One dumb thing you did was knowing the head fell off you "made it work", meaning you went on with the installation of the loop. I know it's one screw out of 4 (assuming as most are) but never take chances with H20. Idk I am just paranoid I guess.

Back