• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ultimate case fan solution 120mm and 140mm, i want to know???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
however if money is no issue why do you care if the noctua industrials are expensive? btw they're $25 not $40. if i had money to burn i would get the noiseblockers or noctua industrials.

EDIT: if it helps, i got my noctua industrial in today and the brown vibration dampers can be easily taken off at which point you just have a really nice black fan.

Last edited:
I used NZXT FN140-RB 140mm fans on my CM 690II Advanced.

I run two in my case on the side panel when I'm using a 240mm radiator for water cooling, and I run four (two more in the top) when I'm running air cooling.

I know some people have reviewed them and said they're loud, but I've personally found mine to be rather quiet. I've actually got 7-8 of these fans and they're all quiet.

As for 120mm fans, I'm running 3x Cougar CF-V12HB fans. They are also very quiet.

Plus I've got two Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-15's as pull fans on my water cooling radiator as pull fans (also my top exhaust fans).

My case sits about 4ft from me on the floor next to my desk. Honestly, most of the time I can't even tell my computer is on. The loudest fan in my computer is the graphics card's fan, that's the only one I can really hear.

I guess this is a good enough place to ask everyone's opinions.

I'm looking to make my rig quieter. I'm considering using 1x 120mm yate loon high speed for rear exhaust and 2x 120mm yate loon low speeds for side intakes. My thought is this will help quiet the rig with the only loud fan at the rear. It should in theory only have a slight positive pressure due to the fan speed differences.

What do you think?

EDIT: Math- 88CFM exhaust 94CFM intake (2x47)

you shouldn't have any fast fans if you want quiet. but yeah i would have them spin at the same speed but have more fans pushing in. the right way to do it is to get a motherboard with fan speed control so they all spin at 600rpm or so when the pc is idle or being lightly used then speed up under heavy load.

i don't know how other brands do it but asus boards work with 3 pin fans as well as pwm 4 pin fans.

3 pin fans will work but only at a fixed speed. Very few motherboards have the buck converter circuit needed to vary the speed of 3 pin fans.

3 pin fans will work but only at a fixed speed. Very few motherboards have the buck converter circuit needed to vary the speed of 3 pin fans.

Both my Gigabyte AMD boards did this....
Same for the P8Z77-V LK.
And my Z87N-WIFI.

Check the manual. It should state if the fan control will work only with PWM, or also with regular 3 wire fans.

Back