• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why go Slower and pay more then faster and less?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Carmine_Paterno

I don't understand. People know that faster chips are out there, they want a new system, a fast one, and they get a P3 700e. Not a bad choice but for 130 dollars, it is too expensive. A new motherboard for intel is about 150 dollars ( a good one). Together, that is 280 dollars, for a computer that will maybe goto 1050.

Now when you look at amd, it is way different. For 150 dollars, you can get a 1 ghz Thunderbird processor (266) AXIA that will do 1.4ghz+ air cooled. For 220 dollars, you can get a 1.33ghz Thunderbird processor (266) AXIA that will do 1.5ghz+ air cooled. Water cool them, and add another 75 mhz or so. A motherboard (the best) I will KK266 will cost you about 125. Now if you decide to get a 1 ghz (1.4ghz+) it will cost you 275 dollars. If you want to go all out (thats what i like HEHE) and get a 1.33ghz (1.5ghz+) it will cost you 345 dollars. Look at the price/performance ratio, AMD ROCKS THE HOUSE!

I'd much rather get 1.5ghz for 345 dollars then get 1050 for 280
And for money limited people like myself, getting 1.4ghz+ for 275 Is great, and when you get the money, get a watercooling/pelitier kit and add another 100+ mhz to your setup.

Both CPUS have their high and low points as well. The Intel is more of an "Office" type CPU working better in applications such as word processors. AMD is more geared twords gaming and high end graphics programs. This is not to say that there is much of a difference, but that is what those CPUs were designed for. Ovbiously they are both designed for the home user and both will tackle either task well. I agree that it does come down to what you are used to and what you prefer.

Intel is a fine proc, but it seems as of late their quality has been going down hill. They used to be an unbeatable proc, now, my Athlon at 1.144 GHZ is doing as well as the P4 1.6GHZ on certain tests(the P4 beat me by about 50 pts). Now this is not a great selling point for the P4, I spent like 200 bucks on my Athlon, the P4 is quite a bit more. It seems to me that Intel figured people would buy them for two reasons, niether of which is a good quality product: 1-"It's an Intel, it must be good" 2-"It runs at 1.6 GHZ, it has to be faster than all the others". I hope for their sake that when the Willy 2 comes out they fix these things so that the people who are buying Intels can get there money's worth.

Fiz

Back