• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need the owner of a DEAD 865 / 875 Motherboard.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbob7

Me and a good friend, are pondering some theories around the Pentium-M (Dothan) and there are some things we would like verified.

Therefor we need someone with a dead socket 478 motherboard, with a i865 or i875 chipset.

A) Does the motherboard have traces leading to those two empty corner spots / does it have soldering points there?

B) Could you take off the thin plastic socket shim, and look at the larger part under it. does it have holes for the two extra pins in the corner?

Thanks

Scott

Last edited:
To clear it out a bit more, we are looking at the socket 478, closeby. The socket consists of multiple parts.

- The socket base, usually black or dark grey, attached to the motherboard.
- The socket lever
- The socket shim (or w/e its called), the white part on top that gets slided up and down by the lever.

If you remove the socket shim and take out the lever, you will be looking at the dark grey / black base, whith all the little pin holes in it. We would like to know whether there are free holes in the corner with the pins missing, and whether there are motherboard traces leading there.

Image of the socket shim that needs to be removed:

Attachments

• IMGP0039.JPG
    IMGP0039.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 369
i looked on the back of a dead s478 mobo i have, and there on no pins or traces on the back.

i could look under the shim if you tell me how you took it off.

im not sure what mobo it is (it doesnt have a manufaturer's name or model number that i can see), but it says mpga-478b on the socket

Shentx said:
i looked on the back of a dead s478 mobo i have, and there on no pins or traces on the back.

i could look under the shim if you tell me how you took it off.

im not sure what mobo it is (it doesnt have a manufaturer's name or model number that i can see), but it says mpga-478b on the socket

If you gently lift the sides up with a tiny flat screwdriver (the sides facing upwards and downwards the way you took the pic) you should be able to pop it off without even bending it (its attached to the bottom part with 4 small plastic clips). I'm not sure if you can put it back on, but if you would be so kind :)

What chipset is it? Looks like 845 but could be VIA of some sort, too.

Last edited:
If you guys are pondering on whether you can put a pentium M in there with some modification, it's not possible, the circuitry on the pins for 479 is quite different.

pip said:
If you guys are pondering on whether you can put a pentium M in there with some modification, it's not possible, the circuitry on the pins for 479 is quite different.

We are trying to find out how much different and whether or not it will be moddable, by, say, redirecting a few pins and/or modding the socket.

I think there are more than a few pins that are different.

Best thing to do would be to compare the Intel spec sheets as it lists all the pin outs.

Also, whats to say that the MB can even support the CPU with out a BIOS flash?

Id love to pop my 1.6 into my AI7 and see what it can do. Let me know if you figure anything out, but Im not holding my breath.

{PMS}fishy said:
I think there are more than a few pins that are different.

Best thing to do would be to compare the Intel spec sheets as it lists all the pin outs.

We haven't been able to find any pin layout sheet of the Dothan yet :(

Just yesterday, the dothan's prices here dropped insanely. The 1.6 model (533FSB) got down from 220 to 140 euros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back