• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom Modular Cables for Corsair HX850

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayson

I'm re-sleeving my computer, and I want to make my own modular cables so they'll have the exact length and connections I need. The problem is finding all of the connectors and pins. I contacted Corsair, and understandably they weren't willing to give me the part numbers they use in making the cables.

Anyone know where I can find these parts? Or equivalents?

I'm particularly looking for:
6-pin connector + pins (its not the same as a PCI-E connector)
molex connector + pins
SATA connectors + pins
Also I need to find out what wire gauge is used

I know I can get a lot of the stuff from modding stores, but I'm trying to make it all match as best as possible.

Is that the modular one? If so, the connectors that come out of the PSU use normal ATX female pins. I've modded my server to fit these cables. For example, you can see the two cables that plug directly into the power supply and they go over to the backplanes. All I did was remove the stock cables from the connectors and put my own cables in them.

http://thideras.com/images/projects/project_rackmount_overkill/wire_manage4.JPG
http://thideras.com/images/projects/project_rackmount_overkill/wire_manage3.JPG

The Corsair modular power supplies are very nice for custom cables. Let me know if you have any questions. I have quite a bit of experience making cables and I'm willing to assist you.

For stores, I mainly use Performance-PCs. Two reasons for this. First, they carry almost all the parts that I need, so I can just order from one place. Second, they have amazing customer service. I emailed them after business hours about an order that I just received that was missing a part. They responded in less than two minutes and had the order our the door before the email hit my inbox.

Thanks for offering to help! I'll definitely have a lot of questions. I've never sleeved cables or made custom ones so I want to do it all myself to learn.

My first question- I checked performance-pcs and they have a ton of sleeving/heatshrink choices. Which do you recommend? I need silver sleeves/shrink and black sleeves/shrink.

Thanks!

Thanks for offering to help! I'll definitely have a lot of questions. I've never sleeved cables or made custom ones so I want to do it all myself to learn.

My first question- I checked performance-pcs and they have a ton of sleeving/heatshrink choices. Which do you recommend? I need silver sleeves/shrink and black sleeves/shrink.

Thanks!
Heatshrink
Sleeving

You select the color when you are in the size you want.

What do you think about this?

performance pcs doesn't have a non-metallic silver

Edit: I'll probably wait to get all my parts together before picking between silver or black (or both). If I get black i'll go with the one you suggested.

What do you think about this?

performance pcs doesn't have a non-metallic silver

Edit: I'll probably wait to get all my parts together before picking between silver or black (or both). If I get black i'll go with the one you suggested.
I'd get them separately. For $41, I can get a ton of materials. There is maybe $20 or so worth there.

I'd get them separately. For $41, I can get a ton of materials. There is maybe $20 or so worth there.

I did the math and that bundle actually saves me a lot using performance-pcs prices. Sleeving color aside, what size sleeving/heatshrink do you use for which cables? I'll be doing fan cables, SATA cables, and 4-pin molexes. Also, how do you know what gauge wire to crimp?

It depends on what you are using it for. If it is fan wiring, you can get away with 26 gauge. If it is anything with the power supply, I always do 18 gauge.

1/8 = 3x 26 gauge wires
1/4 = 3-4x 18 gauge wires
3/8 = 4-8x 18 gauge wires
1/2 = 24x 18 gauge wires

They stretch really far, by the way.

Thanks. For the heatshrink, does the 1/8" shrink go with 1/8" sleeve, etc?

You will want larger heatshrink as it shrinks a lot when you heat it up.

What heatshrink do you use on: 3-pin fan, 4-pin molex, and sata cables?

Back