• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 Power - Review and Comparison with NH-D14

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I must say: it is really sweet to see a pristine Beta Evo again. I cut the heck out of mine; it gave me great service for years. I loved that case.

Still do, actually. It's sitting in its original box in the basement, waiting to get the call to serve again.

Thanks Lenny. You bring back great memories.

The TY-147 that comes on TRUE Spirit 140 Power is quite good. Give it a try.
Out of the box the TRUE Spirit 14o0 Power is only 0.6c warmer than NH-D14 SE2011 while running 2.7dBA quieter.
TS140Poni7-3690X45Ghzgraphhi-lite_zpse4d088ae.jpg
TS140Pw-TY-147noise_zpse133c52d.jpg

ill give it a try but 900rpm minimum sounds high. also i can't find out for sure what kind of bearing it has. any fan i use for a cpu has to has supreme reliability. it's the one fan i won't cheap out on.

TY-147 will idle down to 600rpm on PWM. TY-143 will idle down to 650rpm.

NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM is a monster. :D But TRUE Spirit 140 fan clips are for 120mm mount spacing (105mm) while 140mm mount spacing is 125mm. Might work, but might not.

Yeah, I've heard the speed switch is problematic. Really haven't paid much attention.
TY-143 moves about the same amount of air as FHP141. ;)

But I want a couple of FHP141s to put on my old Silver Arrow. :D

600rpm is great. for some reason their website says 900rpm minimum. thanks for letting me know. as for the 3000 rpm fan i would never use the extra speed but it's nice to know it's there if you want it and it doesn't cost any more than the 2000 rpm version. seems pretty sweet for all the hearing impaired overclockers out there. i may get one and try full speed once or twice just for fun then turn max rpm to 1600rpm or so with fanexpert.

Minimum rpm varies depending on how low motherboard allows PWM% to go.
Indeed.
I have 6 TY-143 fans .. and only time they go about 1100rpm is to show other just how loud and powerful they are. :D

i finally caved and ordered the noctua industrial 2000 rpm with 150k mtbf. looks really sweet and i like having the extra rpm headroom along with the 6 year warranty plus it's water and dustproof in case i take the computer in the tub. if the thermalright fan beats the faster noctua i'll swear eternal allegiance and beg their forgiveness. here's what i got.
http://www.amazon.com/NF-A14-indust...F8&qid=1405488056&sr=8-14&keywords=nf-a14+pwm

Fan blades are almost identical to older Thermalright TY-140, TY-143 & TY-147 fans.

51TuWg4EG7L._SY355_.jpg
350x350-2.jpg

The fan blade design above is what comes on Thermalright TY-140, TY-143 & TY-147 fans. Their fan line has many other fans and designs.

i can't for the life of me figure out how to get the noctua fan mounted on the heatsink. thermalrights website says the clips work with 120mm and 140mm fans but they just don't. the clips work with THEIR 140mm fan which has 120mm fan hole spacing LOL. maybe i'm just tired but as far as i can tell thermalright has a flat out lie on their website. even if i cut out the closed corners THEIR AREN'T ANY HOLES THERE FOR THE CLIPS TO FIT INTO. how annoying.

I got the true spirit power installed. Here are the results. The thermostat on the wall said 77f on both days. Both were used with arctic mx-2 with an amount equal to about the size of a large grain of rice which usually gets me a spread a little bigger than a quarter and almost reaches the edge of the heat spreader. The application may need time to set on the TRUE spirit power but it's clean as a whistle as opposed to the megahalems which has a thin layer of dust. I ran both fans as close to the same speed as I could but of course they're both the size of the heatsink they're attached to. The mega used a scythe s-flex 120mm and the true spirit power used the included thermalright ty-140 fan.

intel 3570k at 1.288v 4400mhz
prime 95 large in place ffts for max heat run for 25 minutes

temps stopped rising after 20 minutes but i gave it an extra 5 to make sure both times.

MEGAHALEMS

Attachments

• megahalems.JPG
    megahalems.JPG
    303.8 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:
True spirit 140 power wins by 9/10 of a degree. Maybe ivy bridge cpu's have such crappy TIM that the cooler can only do so much?

Last edited:
I ran the same test again for a full 40 minutes. The thermostat on the wall still says 77f just like before. Either it's almost 1 degree cooler but not low enough to show on the thermostat, or the thermal paste settled in. Maybe heat pipes work better in different kinds of weather (same temperature but muggy with occasional thunder). Whatever the reason I got 1 degree cooler maximum temps today for a total of about 2c better than the megahalems. Soon I'll mod my noctua fan to fit and see how the cooler scales with higher airflow.

Attachments

• ts140p 2.JPG
    ts140p 2.JPG
    287 KB · Views: 408
Back