• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Socket A Heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
Hey guys!

A few of you might have stumbled upon my first (butchered, what a mess to read now LOL) thread about my old AMD Duron Spitfire.

Mr.Scott warned me not to exceed 50*C on the socket...well, I watched it climb up to 62*C last time I OC'd it. :facepalm:

Anyway, after reading Ben333's thread on reviving his old Windows 98 rig, I got the itch to get my own retro rig going for some older games and some DOS. :cool:

Now, that CPU is kinda "iffy", I might have pooched it, but I want to give it one last OC, with proper cooling this time.

So? What is a good heatsink for Socket A's?
Are any quieter than the lousy clip-on stock heatsink it has now?

I can and probably will make a custom case for it, so the size of the new cooler won't matter.

I have no idea how much it'll cost, but hopefully not too much.
Any advice is appreciated :)

Quiet, is all in the fan you use. ;)
Don't kid yourself. Socket A's can get hot....pretty fast too. Dead in less than 3 seconds on startup with no HSF.
That being said, some of the best socket A coolers:
SI-97A
SI-97
Big Typhoon
SLK 900
SLK 800

You'll be lucky to find any of them.
I modded a 212+ for socket A. Think outside the box. ;)

Quiet, is all in the fan you use. ;)
Don't kid yourself. Socket A's can get hot....pretty fast too. Dead in less than 3 seconds on startup with no HSF.
That being said, some of the best socket A coolers:
SI-97A
SI-97
Big Typhoon
SLK 900
SLK 800

You'll be lucky to find any of them.
I modded a 212+ for socket A. Think outside the box. ;)

Thanks Mr.Scott!

Dead in 3 seconds... Rats. I think I left the heatsink off my Duron once after I powered it on.

Guess that'll explain why it's not quite stable anymore :-/

Modded a 212+ eh?....
Hmm. I'll have to look into that. :)

EDIT: Can't find more than 2 coolers, and shipping is just plain criminal :-/
What about other socket heatsinks? Can say, a socket 478 clip heatsink fit on a socket A clip socket?
I'm wondering because I have a socket A and socket 7 socket in front of me, and the clip actually line up.. :sly:

Last edited:
Modded a 212+ eh?....
Hmm. I'll have to look into that. :)

EDIT:
I'm wondering because I have a socket A and socket 7 socket in front of me, and the clip actually line up.. :sly:
Socket A, socket 370, and some socket 7, all the same mounting.

Socket A, socket 370, and some socket 7, all the same mounting.

Hmmm. Okay cool. :D

Though I doubt any heatsinks for socket 7 would be better than the stock cooler I have now.... I don't think socket 7's or 370 puts out as much heat right?

Okay wut?

Newegg still has a socket A cooler in-stock?? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200017 :shock: Wow. Didn't expect that.
Wonder if it's any good...

Also, I found the heatsink I actually have right now. It's a AVC 112C81... Has a copper core. Maybe just buy a better 70mm fan? :shrug:

EDIT: Rats. I can't order from newegg.com, and newegg.ca doesn't have that cooler :(

I'll add one more to the list.

Thermaltake Pipe101

Also, Silver, does your board have the four holes around the socket or are you limited to clip on coolers only?

If you can find a Big Typhoon with Socket A mounts, that'll be the best bet.

Personally I use a Thermaltake Frio Extreme. For a holddown I use the clip/bar from one of half a dozen cheap aluminum heatsinks. It was just a matter of finding one that fit decently.

Clip only guys :(

And on that same note, this entire time even when I OC'd this Duron last year, I had the clip on backwards, and the heatsink wasn't even making full contact with the die! :shock:

I only realized this just now after I was practicing with the clip mount and noticed the small gap between the die and the copper core. :facepalm:
Might not be a bad heatsink. Rather, an inexperienced OC'er...

Crap.

Clip only really limits what you can get. I think the Thermalright SK7 was a clip-on.

Hah.. I forgot about the clip. A big typhoon and some as5 should get that CPU running good.. Especially when it's clipped on properly :D

Yeah it does narrow down the options.. not to mention finding any is tough enough :(
I'm not haveing much luck on fleabay and kijiji, so I mounted the heatsink I have *properly* and put a slightly stronger fan on and temps only hit 51*C.

I'm going to mount my spare 60mm fan to the back of the socket and see if that help. I hope so...

Unfortunately I threw away my old xp90, and my big typhoon a couple of years ago. I have an old cooler master hsf that looks like a jet engine on a big piece of copper lol. I got it for Christmas... But I think I got my old 2500 mobile to 2.8 with it and a bunch of fans everywhere :D

I have an old cooler master hsf that looks like a jet engine on a big piece of copper lol. I got it for Christmas... But I think I got my old 2500 mobile to 2.8 with it and a bunch of fans everywhere :D

Jet 7+ ;)
Wish I could find a couple for my K7D Master.

Last edited:
I just found a Tuniq Tower in my box-o-crap. Can't rememeber when it was used last tho, and I'm sure I'm not going to use it anytime soon :rofl:

Yup that's the one! With the fan controller.. It worked pretty well, but had a bit if a whine to it at full power... Like a jet lol

One o deez? :D I had one. I remember it had an LED inside that little scoop on top.

Attachments

• 35-103-141-03.jpg
    35-103-141-03.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 63
Fan control would be a blessing.

This fan isn't quite quiet at 4000 RPM :-/

I was wondering if making an adapter and fitting a larger fan would help with temps?
Becasue there are stronger and quieter fans than a 4000 RPM 60mm fan :p

Back