• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Card: Asus EN8800GT 1GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
its a standard price.
these have been on and off newegg for about a month now. always around $300.
a few times I almost bought one, but never could convince myself to.
I already have a GTX, but been itching to playing with something different.

in a great deal of games you will find that 1 gig of memory doesnt help all that much, except in games where you have very high resolutions and high AA/AF.
so a card like this, is really best suited to high end monitors.

but at the same time, a card with high amounts of memory is usually easier to resell later, so I tend to like them just for that reason alone.

not dissing your purchased, but i doubt there will be much of a performance increase with this card of the 512mb version.

Yeah, I think I got duped. I'm going to exchange this tomorrow. What is the best card I should get for that price? I can add an extra $80 or so. It must be better than the card listed in my sig. Thanks.

ya save your money... theres no use in gettin a bomb *** gfx card if your cpu even an x2 clocked at 3.31ghz is gonna bottleneck it.

You know it's really funny, I've been running the 8800GTS 640MB for a year now and have NEVER seen a "bottleneck" problem, yeah sure some games are CPU intensive, but A LOT of games are GPU intensive like F.E.A.R.. I'm getting the best CPU there is when AMD makes one! lol But I want to get a card that's better than mine that I have now, to hold me over until 8900's come out.

Also, I have already grabbed the 8800GT 1GB, so the $$ is spent, just gonna exchange, hence the questioning. :p Anyhoo, here's the website http://www.filtechcomputer.com/, this is where I buy my parts, on their GPU page what would be the best purchase? Need to know ASAP. Thanks.

You know it's really funny, I've been running the 8800GTS 640MB for a year now and have NEVER seen a "bottleneck" problem, yeah sure some games are CPU intensive, but A LOT of games are GPU intensive like F.E.A.R.. I'm getting the best CPU there is when AMD makes one! lol But I want to get a card that's better than mine that I have now, to hold me over until 8900's come out.

Also, I have already grabbed the 8800GT 1GB, so the $$ is spent, just gonna exchange, hence the questioning. :p Anyhoo, here's the website http://www.filtechcomputer.com/, this is where I buy my parts, on their GPU page what would be the best purchase? Need to know ASAP. Thanks.

If you're running games on the monitor in your sig (1920 x 1080) you might want to rethink exchanging that card...unless it's for a 3870x2.

Many of the 'fps charts' are based on standard resolutions. When you get up to higher resolutions like 1920X1080, especially when using AA, then factors like more memory and multi-GPU (or SLI/crossfire) become significant.

I'd suggest doing your homework. Or, if he has time and you want to cut straight to it, send ViperJohn a PM and refer him to this thread. He'll be able to answer this question easily off the top of his head...including that dubious 'CPU bottleneck' supposition up there.

Last edited:
If you're running games on the monitor in your sig (1920 x 1080) you might want to rethink exchanging that card...unless it's for a 3870x2.

Many of the 'fps' reviews and GPU charts are based on standard resolutions. When you get up to higher resolutions like 1920X1080, especially when using AA, then factors like more memory and multi-GPU (or SLI/crossfire) become significant.

I'd suggest doing your homework. Or, if he has time and you want to cut straight to it, send ViperJohn a PM and refer him to this thread. He'll be able to answer this question easily off the top of his head...including that dubious 'CPU bottleneck' supposition up there.

Thanks for the response, I'll do that. So even though the clock speed stock is 600MHz with the GT I grabbed today and the clock on the GTS is 650MHz or 7something if I got the XFX XXX version they have, it's better to keep the 1GB one I bought? Thanks again.

Thanks for the response, I'll do that. So even though the clock speed stock is 600MHz with the GT I grabbed today and the clock on the GTS is 650MHz or 7something if I got the XFX XXX version they have, it's better to keep the 1GB one I bought? Thanks again.

I don't know, but your situation is complicated because you're running at a high resolution. It's hard to find accurate benchmarks and reviews at high rez because those resolutions aren't quite mainstream yet.

So, if I were you I'd:

1) PM Viperjohn and ask him if he could read and respond to this thread.
2) google around for reviews and comparisons of your card vs. other cards at high rez (1920X1200 or 1920X1080).
3) run the benchmarks yourself with the card you have, and then try to find high rez benches of the card you plan to buy (running the same app at the same rez I.e. F.E.A.R. etc.) To do this, open the console in the game and enter the 'show fps' command for that game, I don't know what it is you'll have to google that. Some games have benchmark programs built in, which would be more accurate. I don't know which games have them and which don't, I believe crysis has one.

Last edited:
I don't know, but your situation is complicated because you're running at a high resolution. It's hard to find accurate benchmarks and reviews at high rez because those resolutions aren't quite mainstream yet.

So, if I were you I'd:

1) PM Viperjohn and ask him if he could read and respond to this thread.
2) google around for reviews and comparisons of your card vs. other cards at high rez (1920X1200 or 1920X1080).
3) run the benchmarks yourself with the card you have, and then try to find high rez benches of the card you plan to buy (running the same app at the same rez I.e. F.E.A.R. etc.) To do this, open the console in the game and enter the 'show fps' command for that game, I don't know what it is you'll have to google that. Some games have benchmark programs built in, which would be more accurate. I don't know which games have them and which don't, I believe crysis has one.

1.) Done
2.) Done, you're right about the higher Resolutions, I do run my games MINIMUM 1140 x 900, but almost always run them at 1920 x 1080.
3.) Don't want to remove it from the package. Either way, I'm keeping this one, or buying the GTS version, I'd grab the ATi, but I can only through another 80 bucks at this. Anyone else care to give an opinion? The more the merrier please. :)

Higher Res, More RAM is better in general. I could be wrong but I belive that the 8800GT doesn't receive much benefit as much form the 1 gb of RAM.

If you can afford it, I would go with the 3870x2. It's the top card out there right now. Then look at upgrading your CPU.

Not at 1920x1080... as the resolution becomes higher games become more GPU itensive.

Exactly! Finally someone said that. lol I ended up getting the Radeon 3870x2 1GB http://www.insidehw.com/Reviews/Graphics-cards/ATI-Radeon-HD-3870X2-1-GB.html For $340CAD, so basicly I exchanged the GT 1GB ($300), paid the $40 difference and got that one. Is that good? lol I hope so. It benches higher than 2 GTX's SLi'd so it had better be a good pickup. Also, did I overpay?

The stock CPU speed of mine is actually 900MHz, different than the one in the link. :)

Back