• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lenovo N586 Want to replace CPU on laptop recommend highest plz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deathhorse

Hey guys my mom gave me her old laptop and its sllllllooooooooooooooowwwwwww

i have a Lenovo N586 i want to put in the best CPU i can and want to know if i needed to do anything special besides tearing it apart and slapping the new cpu in. I have read several postings about what cpu can go in it but wondered if there is any cpu pros out there.

Current CPU
AMD -E1-1200 1.40ghz

Saw postings online for
A10-4600m
A8-5550M
A6-4400M
A8-4500M

So anyhelp would be amazing never done this before and thought it would be fun. I can take anything apart and put it back together and have it work still no extra screws either :) will post pics of my upgrade endeavor if anyone cares

Thanks

Hey guys my mom gave me her old laptop and its sllllllooooooooooooooowwwwwww

i have a Lenovo N586 i want to put in the best CPU i can and want to know if i needed to do anything special besides tearing it apart and slapping the new cpu in. I have read several postings about what cpu can go in it but wondered if there is any cpu pros out there.

Current CPU
AMD -E1-1200 1.40ghz

Saw postings online for
A10-4600m
A8-5550M
A6-4400M
A8-4500M

So anyhelp would be amazing never done this before and thought it would be fun. I can take anything apart and put it back together and have it work still no extra screws either :) will post pics of my upgrade endeavor if anyone cares

Thanks

I don't even have the guts to open my battery slot and replace it....let alone the CPU.

Anyways I can only suggest you get the benchmarks of each and see which one is the fastest, since these are all AMD&compatible with your laptop I assume the later technology will be more durable & have better performance. By the numbers you can easily tell.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-A-Series-A10-4600M-Notebook-Processor.74065.0.html
https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-A-Series-A8-5550M-Notebook-Processor.89639.0.html

I think (someone correct me if Im wrong) the number 8 or 10 indicate how recent they are (therefore better) while the other numbers indicate what they're all about (more cooling less speed or more speed less cooling more battery) etc.

They both look the same in terms of energy efficiency but the A10 is a little faster but not by much.

Last edited:
thanks for the link to more detailed stuff about the chip might shoot for a better chip that is cheap and play with the laptop to see if its any better than the stock

Most manufacturers hard code the bios to accept only a few processors, regardless of whether the same motherboard could handle more processors. Unless you have verified someone else has done the swap with your exact same model laptop, you're rolling the dice.

the cpu i got was only 11bucks i read lots of posts online about different oncs that worked gonna test it out tomorrow morning. :)

What I do is cheap out the spec of the laptop and most times they post what cpu will work with the unit.. Also google upgrading you model to see what bios you have and will work..

Back