• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Small stereo amp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So I just ordered a set of those Cambridge Audio S30s that popped up in cyber deals, and I need a small, cheaper amp to go with them (<$50 shipped would be ideal). I have been using my dads old H/K AVR325 at college, but it's kind of too large for my desk.

I'm mainly going to be using it for games & movies while in a smaller room, so it's not like I need 100W/channel and a THD rating of <0.0001% (I've got a set of Dt-990s hooked up to a Fiio E07K/E09K for music), but obviously I don't want it sounding like autotuned static at anything above a whisper :D Also, I know it's asking a lot for a small amp in this price range, but while all I truly need is a stereo amp with RCA jacks, do they make any with a sub preamp out for a 2.1 system and/or make any receiver-like systems with an optical input as well?

Looking around Amazon, there seems to be a decent selection from Pyle (Link, Link). There are also a few Lepais (Link, Link). Most come with wimpy wall warts, and a few reviewers are saying they improve if you get a higher amperage power brick. No luck finding one with just a sub preamp out though.

Any suggestions/recommendations? I don't expect to be using this thing for the next 20 years, I will upgrade eventually :D

Last edited:
It's a possibility, I got into this knowing decent audio hardware isn't cheap :D I'll definitely think about it.

This is what I am running ATM. Complete Overkill.

This is what I suggest buying. It'll output 20 wpc (half of RMS rating) with nil distortion.

Well, I'll eliminate the AudioSource one up front. I may be able to swing $90 for the one notarat posted since it's about the same size as my headphone amp and is what I was looking for, but $100+ is kind of where I draw the line. The Pyle however, I can make that work. I can live with a 20w/channel system since I'm not looking for something that booms, just something I can use when I don't feel like wearing earmuffs.

I've still got time to decide. Like I said in your cyber deals thread, I got cheap on the shipping so I got time to decide :D

Well, I'll eliminate the AudioSource one up front. I may be able to swing $90 for the one notarat posted since it's about the same size as my headphone amp and is what I was looking for, but $100+ is kind of where I draw the line. The Pyle however, I can make that work. I can live with a 20w/channel system since I'm not looking for something that booms, just something I can use when I don't feel like wearing earmuffs.

I've still got time to decide. Like I said in your cyber deals thread, I got cheap on the shipping so I got time to decide :D

And unfortunately, that Amazon listing is erroneous. :/
Check that thread again for the info on why.

And unfortunately, that Amazon listing is erroneous. :/
Check that thread again for the info on why.

Yeah, replied, thanks again. Still mildly interested in an amp though, as I have a set of Infinity P163s that I could potentially use. They're just a tad large for my desk, so finding a place to put them could get interesting. But they could work until I get a smaller set.

Edit: I'll go with the Pyle and just use the P163s until I can get to an audio store and test some small speakers in person. Not only is it the cheapest, but having multiple inputs is a plus, as I could use both the line out from the E09K and a 3.5mm to RCA cable from the headphone jack on the w2408h, as bad as that may be. I'm not expecting this to be a true hifi setup anyway.

Last edited:
Back