• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 8 soon to be more like W7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No, the flickering is on my main monitor, second is my TV i dunno what it is... 50" 1080P sanyo? I know its 1080.. and its to big for the living room.. I hate it..

But this ONLY happens when I extend the display. I havent checked on the little 15" monitor I use when I play DayZ (My map screen)

The main monitor is hooked up via DVI, TV is HDMI

Just checked it on the little dinky monitor, and the flicker has gone away...

So why does HDMI output affect the monitor hooked up DVI??

Heeeyy I saw my post&sig! ^_^

As for HDMI thingy, I can only see interference being the culprit..... :shrug:

Correct, the problem was not present in windows 7 24 hours ago, Running the same drivers the only variable is the OS..

This is why I never uninstall an OS and always install it on a relatively small partition. Quick reboot into the other OS would help you establish things like this although it does sound like this is not a hardware issue.

You should experiment with different driver versions. 13.2 was more than a year ago, it may have had a bug under Windows 8 only.

The only thing I can think of is that somehow, and even though it didn't do it on Win7, that if I put the DVI on the plug my little monitor is plugged into it would fix it... Maybe the digital only DVI and the HDMi are both on the same RAMDAC

Wouldn't they all be on the same RAMDAC... there is only one. Do some outputs not use the RAMDAC?

If others are reading this, on a wider issue of video card outputs, here's something else I found out in a (very) hard way, my video card has four video outputs:

6 - Four Signals.jpg

Notice the output I circled in red ↑.
It's one or the other, DVI or HDMI but not both for that one.
I therefore have to use the DVI circled in Blue and HDMI inside the red circle, otherwise things would not work.

They don't tell you that front & center when you are buying video cards. They let you find that out yourself after you buy them.

Yup, and the worst part is that it varies between cards. For example, my 770 will output all of them.

RAMDAC is only for VGA.
The "DAC" stands for "Digital to Analog Converter".
DVI and HDMI are entirely digital.
VGA is analog.

Ports can, however, share digital outputs/output buffers on a chip, likely that is what is happening for things like the GPU picture above.

Back