• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock advice for my next step - phenom ii x2 550 BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WayneTrew

Registered
Hi all

Fairly new to overclocking (enjoying it so far :)) and just wanted to post where i've got with it so far, and hoping some of you could guide me along.

Settings in CPU-Z:

BIOS settings (need any other info?):
CPU clock ratio: x18.5
CPU NorthBridge frequency: Auto
CPU Host Clock Control: Manual
CPU frequency: 200
HT Link Width: Auto
HT Link Freq: Auto
CPU Voltage Control +0.050v = 1.4000v

Right as far as i know, i havn't made any alterations to the RAM (still at 667Mhz and stock volts)
Im currently at 3.7Ghz, i ran memtest86+ for 8 hours, and it came back as passed. 20 cycles of intel burn at maximum, and 12 hours in prime95 (in place large FFTs)
Going by what i've read i think i can assume its some what stable as it is (correct me if im wrong!). I've only altered the clock ratio, and voltage control so everything else SHOULD be at stock settings. I get full load temps at 50(usually)-51/2oc, idles at about 34oc.

When i increase the clock ratio to 19 (loads Windows) and run intel burn, my whole screen goes blue mid test, not the "blue screen of death" blue, more like a solid blank light blue page, and it seems as though the processor is still working away at this point, but i have to power off and on to get into windows again. I had this problem originally when at 18.5, but i upped the volts +0.050v (to 1.4) and it seemed to have worked. However i don't think its a good idea to up the volts any more? so wondered if theres another way to tackle the problem, or if i've hit what i've read as 'the wall'

Any help/guidance will be much appretiated :)

thanks

-Wayne

:welcome: To the boards!

Great OC! Looks like you got the hang of it.

To read up more about the Phenom II, you should check out my sig.

Bringing your CPU up to 3.8ghz will be a bit harder than your usual OC. I suggest learning about your RAM in a 64bit environment, and figuring out a good spot for your CPU-NB. With the Phenom II, the CPU-NB is just as important as the CPU OC.

Managed to get 2.8Ghz by upping the multiplier once more, then upping the voltage to 1.4v. Temps went up to 54c on load though...not a good idea i don't think

Is it possible to get 2.8Ghz stable without the voltage increase using FSB and other options, and would that make temps go down, or does the processor need the extra volts as its exerting moer speed?

Managed to get 2.8Ghz by upping the multiplier once more, then upping the voltage to 1.4v. Temps went up to 54c on load though...not a good idea i don't think

Is it possible to get 2.8Ghz stable without the voltage increase using FSB and other options, and would that make temps go down, or does the processor need the extra volts as its exerting moer speed?

Do you mean 3.8GHz ?
Nice work!

I would try to unlock the other two cores, and OC the ram and the NB, it will be faster that way than by just pushing the clocks and actually would need less V and could run cooler.

hey sorry yeah i did mean 3.8Ghz

tried to unlock it before with ACC, left it at its standard settings, wouldn't boot into windows :(

I unlocked mine and it wouldn't boot into windows. Then after some trial and error, i found which core was bad, and now have a tri-core. You might want to look into that. I have mine at 3.4ghz on stock cooling 3 cores running stable (8 hours on prime95)

Back