• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Intel i7-4960X CPU with Bios Problems??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ajay57

Even since i Installed my new 4960X CPU, i have had weird Gremlins that keep cropping up over the last week!! :-/

1, First the Ram does not show in the Bios as Quad set up, then it works again! :eh?:

2, Next when i change OC Profiles it goes into a loop, and to cure this i have to go into the bios and sort it out myself! :eh?:

3, Today it was something called CSM PARAMETERS/COMPATIBILITY SUPPORT MODULE!!! What is that?? :shrug:

4, These are some of the issues i have seen so far!!

Now this is my main QUESTION to the members on here, what do you think this could be????

My own idea and Answer would be:

A, The new Bios i installed a few days ago, as it stated more stability, ehh!

B, The CPU and pins not properly contacting etc!!

So what i did today to see if any of my ideas is correct, i have fully cleaned the CPU both sides. And fully checked for miss aligned or bent pins and there was none!

Reseated the CPU after cleaning it and making sure it was fully in line.

Tightened down the WC BLOCK with my fingers this time, and i did not try to give it a tweak, with a Screwdriver.

And while i was typing this message the whole thing just BSOD twice now with no warning at all!!

So please can you help and think of what this can be???? :attn:

Is this a Windows problem or BIOS PROBLEM as i am thinking it could be!! :shrug:

Respectfully,

AJ.

Up date just went ahead and Flashed the Bios back to the one that worked solidly with my i7-4939K!! Now its just a matter of time and observe what happens, i have managed to reapply my X 45 OC.

Have tested it with P95 and passed, so hopefully this would be nice if this is the happy ending i am looking for!!

AJ.

A new bios can always be iffy! I'll try a few out and usually find onr that just seems to suit me and my stuff. Not saying thats the answer but you do have to watch bios and chipset driver timing. If they release a new bios and chip driver and you only update one that can cause problems at a board level. Windowz and drivers have a bit of a hissy fit!!Know what Imean

Yeah well so far so good as they say here, it looking dare i say not to bad at the moment Johan. Just hope it gets rid of these silly problems that is plaguing me so far.

AJ.

I had a similar issue when I had my old x58 ud5 in use with my d14, the backplate was putting pressure somewhere causing the board to flex and I'd lose half my ram, and go into boot loops. Could try flipping it around or re orientate it somehow. I hate those problems you describe. That's when ram becomes throwing knifes and CPUs turn into ninja stars :D

Well sadly its virtually gone altogether now constant loops and dropping out what ever i do, it even drops out just looking at this Web Site!!!

So it looks like a New Motherboard to replace this one!! Oh by the way when looking into the SPD SECTION of the Bios its showing 2 Dimm Slots not Working now!!

I had already contacted Scan UK yesterday, there answer was if it tests as faulty they have to send it back to ASUS. The turn around time is 8 weeks at best, so no PC for 2 months or more this end, bummer!!!

So right now i am typing this message on my Wifes Laptop, so this is my only means of communication with you ALL.

Very Sadly,

AJ.

8 weeks to get an RMA back? ASUS said that? Wow. You have to ship it back to the states?

Yes as Scan does not hold any stock of the new type boards, with the latest Bios for IB-E!!

I am very worried and concerned about the New CPU as well, Spoke to the guy i purchased it from. He told me the Vcore was to high by his standards, and on his MOBO its only hitting 1.50v with LLC!!

And like Woomack said there seems to be a difference of 100Hz to 150Hz!!

Which makes a big difference when you come to OC your CPU @ 4.8 etc.

So yeah i am not very happy right now ED and very concerned as to how much damage there is??

AJ.

As I asked before when you picked the chip up, did you buy this thing with only a screenshot or did he run some benchmarks for you at 4.9Ghz? As you likely know, the voltage needed to take a screenshot versus running Prime95 is a different ballgame. So you may be expecting something that just isn't there as far as voltage goes.

You are sending it back to Scan? I know at newegg after 30 days you send it back to the MFG... not sure what Scan's policy is. I would expect ASUS to have properly flashed bios though...

It could be the CPU though, who knows... the Memory controller is on the CPU and all. But the only way to test that is by dropping it in another board.

What board did the previous owner have it in?

EDIT: You also need to understand that how each board responds to LLC and voltage drop/droop will be different... even in the same line. So what he experienced with the board will be different than you experienced voltage wise.

Last edited:
Its the new ROG BLACK EDITION is the one he tested all the CPU's he had, i Purchased it on trust. I have been in constant contact with him most day's since i got back.

It worked perfectly at the start, only when the Ram slots went down, did things go crazy, i have changed the ram around it makes no difference at all still the same result.

I belive its the Mobo at fault, but until i can test the CPU in another board like you said, i can not be 100% sure ED!! So do i wait till ASUS for 8 weeks for a answer, or try to find a replacement Mobo??

EDIT: Sorry i did drop the OC from 48 to 47 and left the settings the same it crashed, also i was look at OCF last night @ 45 it crashed 3 times and reset it to Windows each time.

AJ.

Never trust anyone you don't know...The first logical question to ask someone that posts a screenshot of X.xx clock at X.xx volts is what can it actually RUN at those clocks and volts. I guess that is neither here nor there, but, good to know for the future anyway...

Ajay, I don't think ASUS will take 8 weeks. So unless they told you that, don't assume (you said scan was 8 weeks above...). It is worth calling or emailing to find out though. Typically it only takes a couple of weeks to complete an RMA with ASUS in my experience. Not sure what it is like where you are though.

Does this happen at stock speeds too?

Last edited:
I never tried stock speeds my friend, right now i can not even switch it on with out looping etc. So to avoid further damage i shut off the power to everything.

All i know the ram slots are constantly on/off first it was 1 slot now its 2 slots on the Mobo according to the SPD SECTION in the Bios. Never ever had anything like this before in the past with all the different boards i have used here.

So thanks for you concern its really nice to see.

AJ.

Well, good luck. I hope ASUS will turn it around faster than Scan will...

Having your benching rig as your 24/7 rig though, this is one of the risks and a huge reason to have two different systems, even if you are only using water to cool things down. That or carry a stable of lesser hardware to swap out of things go wrong.

I don't think this is your fault though. The voltages were not crazy, the board should have handled it. I just hope it is only the board! At least that will only cost $200-$300 to replace if the one you get back doesn't work to your liking.

Thanks for the kind remarks and your reassurance in this matter i am hoping for the best outcome as well ED. I was hoping you would confirm that the CPU voltages was not too high in this case.

I am hoping my 4930K sells tonight as its down to the last few hours, and i have quite a few Watchers!!

Kind Regards,

AJ.

Well the news here is the motherboard is the culprit or problem, i tried it with the 4930K which is a solid CPU. And got the same results and crashes plus the Ram problem as well, so its good news in a way. That the 4960X IMC looks to be in the clear, and i can tell you what a relief that is to me!!!

Sooooooo with no Motherboard i looked around the Net today and picked up a new Motherboard to keep me going. I will RMA the P9X79 PRO back to Scan UK and sort that out tomorrow, so what ever time it takes at least i have still a working PC.

So i have only just finished putting things back together here, and i am very tired, ready for Bed and some sleep.

So goodnight all see you in the morning.

AJ.

Glad to hear you are getting another motherboard to hold you over. What board did they have in stock?

Did you contact Asus to see if their rma turn around was faster? 8 weeks seems like forever.

Sorry not yet ED been up to my neck in getting things back together, will deal with that tomorrow now. Like i said on just done about 1 hour ago, and ready for bed, but i wanted just to tell you how things are getting on.

So thanks for asking see you tomorrow ED!

AJ.

Back