• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maxing out your PCI-E bus?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I remember reading somewhere about why the Alan Wake benchmarks were so skewed. I think it had to do w/post-processing effects being performed on the CPU.
Does PCIe 3.0 make more of a difference in Crossfire or SLI?

Only in the sense that most boards hack your available lanes from 16 to 8 when you go to two cards.

Regarding pcie clock itself then at least on Intel boards it goes as high as bclk. On SB you can count on about 103MHz, on IB about 105-107, on Haswell with some luck up to 110. I mean stable as max is slightly higher.
At the same time some HDD will generate errors or shut down when you pass 105MHz, some other will work without issues up to 120MHz pcie. Generally SSD have higher tolerance for high pcie but still I see no point to overclock it.
If I find some time this weekend then I will try max on i3 4330 / ASRock Z87M OCF.

Woomack on x79 and SB-E (I'm not sure if SB-E would make a diff.) is the BCLK tied to the PCI and PCIe bus clocks? I've read conflicting accounts about whether or not it does.

Back