• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCIE ribbon extenders not working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chug

Trying to get the gpu on the go in my project. It is laid on its side, except when it is one ribbon cable just doesn't work, the other loads up but restarts the PC as soon as you start a video. Is it bad luck with shizer cables or are they not designed to run gpu's? Works fine when used directly in the pcie port.

I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to do. But some ribbon cables have problems if they are too close to another cable. You can get some signal bleed. I'm using USB cables with my PCI-E risers and not having any problems with them.

If you are in the US, I can link you to a place that carries USB risers for about $11 each.

I'm trying to run a GPU on its side with a ribbon cable basically.

I'd say try and keep the ribbon as far away from the motherboard, and other signals it might get. Beyond that, I'm not sure what might be causing your problem.

Its very tight in there, I haven't got much choice.

Back