• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In the beginning....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David

Forums Super Moderator
(I) In The Beginning....
In the beginning there was no Overclockers.com. There was no OCForums. And so the overclockers and computer enthusiasts of the world were without a proper home, and danced from site to site, each as imperfect as the previous site.

(II) The Trio
And then, there was Skip. And Ed. And Joe. And these men, being wise in the ways of computers, looked upon the internet, and saw that all overclockers should be able to come together upon this internet. And so Overclockers.com was born, in the late years of the 1990s, when the internet was beginning to become recognised.

(III) The Forums
And these three men looked upon Overclockers.com, and were happy, for it was good. And then, Skip, in his mighty wisdom deemed that all overclockers should be able to come to converse with each other upon an internet forum.And thus Overclockers Forums were created. And the three were happy, for it was good. The forums, in their greatness, grew and became popular.And Daniel~ was appointed as Forum Manager, to aid the master Skip in his work upon the internet, for Skip was a busy man. And Daniel~ and Skip created the Senior Members. And as the fledgling forums expanded, Tim- was appointed as Moderator. Members who had proved themselves to be worthy to serve the forums, and to continue their influence on the internet.And so it was done. And to this day, members who are of suitable knowledge and attitude shall be contacted by the administrators and offered a gift of shiny blue stars, 10 in number, to wear for as long as the member so wishes.

(IV) The Split
But alas, it was not all to be good. In the year of 2001, when the forums had moved from their primative beginnings, on basic software, then to UBB and finally into VB software, the forums were rocked. Daniel~ and Skip, previously having been of the same mind, decided that their views were too different for Daniel~ to stay. And so Daniel~ departed, along with some like minded Senior Members, and formed the Alliance for the Advancement of the Overclocking Arts.

(V) The Moderators
And so Skip once again, in his wisdom, he appointed great people to lead us. ShadowÒÓ was appointed as Moderators over the forum, followed by Newbie_Doo, Hoot, Mr B and SpeeDj as the forums grew. And Skip smiled, for the forums were good.

Over the years the forums prospered. The ranks of Senior Members grew, the forum became famous, and the Moderator ranks swelled. William, Thelemac, Jon, UnseenMenace, Maddman, SilversinkSam, LutaWicasa, SickBoy, eobard, RideNow, cw823, Red HOT Machine, nihili, larva, Breadfan, macklin01, Oni, rogerdugans, JigPu, JoT, krag, mdcomp and David were all bestowed with Moderator powers so that the forums should be kept in order.

(VI) The Classifieds
Mr B assumed responsibility for the classifieds, the safest place to trade on the internet. The classifieds grew and prospered, and with SilversinkSam and LutaWicasa and later JoT and Krag on the team, the classifieds were kept a safe place for all, free from the trolls that wander the internet forums of this world, and cause havoc for the ill prepared.

(VII) The Passing of Power I
However, once again, not all the news is good. The mighty Skip, being burdened heavily with "real life", a phenomena affecting many staff, decided that he was no longer able to actively lead the community, and appointed the first two Moderators, ShadowÒÓ and Newbie_Doo as Administrators to serve the forums at his side. Then alas, the forums outgrew the server in Skip's basement. But, due to the immense fellowship and dedication shown at these forums, a grand sum of money was raised, and a super-duper server was purchased for Skip. And once again things were good.

(VIII) The Crippling
Alas, disaster struck once again. A faulty piece of power equipment crippled the forums, and sadly they had to leave their birthplace and home to be co-located at a facility. But still, the forums continued.

(IX) The Golden Age
Many good times were had. The almighty folding team and seti team prospered. Folding competition was intense between Rage3D and Overclockers.com when the folding master How!? joined Rage3D. The forums were restructured and improved and moved to vBulletin. The famous webcam thread totalled 65 pages in two evenings, as two (rather attractive) females expressed their faith in Skip, our leader.

(X) The Deleter
Shadow, the lord of the delete button, became known for his thirst for deletion. When editing the permissions of the blue-starred ones, he happened across the delete button. An uncontrollable force swelled deep within him, his eyes flashed red, and his mouse pointer was moved to apply that dreaded button! And so, Senior Member Robjustice was wiped forever from the forums, his posts claimed only by the mystical "Guest" user, and his shiny blue stars released into the internet cosmos where no man could ever find them. This was not to be all bad however, as Shadow realised his grave mistake, and was immediately overwhelmed by a feeling of guilt. He restored the robjustice account, and presented the deleted ones with a unique gift, the like of which no other forums member has ever been honoured with. Robjustice accepted Shadows gift, which can be seen in place of the 10 shiny blue stars that he lost during that fateful day.

(XI) The Yatta
Meanwhile the ranks of the Senior Members prospered. The Seniors are a strange, but close, crew. Many strange traditions, in-jokes and practices occupy the threads in a forum hidden in this site, deeper than could ever be found by a member not presented with the shiny blue stars...
During one of these traditional rites of the Seniors, a new Senior Member, Wa11y, who was new to the ways of the blue ones, came upon a website. He had delved through many a gross and disgusting site, and happened upon a video. This video was Yatta. Wa11y was repelled by the sight of this video, yet strangely intrigued. How was it that such a seemingly shocking video of semi-naked japanese men could be so .... addictive. So enjoyable. And so the Yatta appeared in the section frequented only by the blue ones. And the seniors saw this, and it was horrible, but good. As punishment for awakening this ... odd .. phenomena, Wa11y was forced to wear an avatar of shame. But Wa11y, being an odd fellow, wore it with pride. And the members were puzzled, for the seniors did not share their secret. The seniors then slowly introduced the Yatta to the members. Even the almighty Skip had "yatta" in his sig. And so Yatta was bestowed upon the forums, forever and always, as one of the major things that have ever come to pass in these forums.

(XII) The Pink/White Hat
Yodums, famous amongst the ranks of the members for his exceedingly high postcount was once swayed to post a picture of himself. Alas, this was a mistake to follow him for years to come. In this picture, hid a pink tint. Thus, his most pure white hat was cursed with a pinkish tint. And lo, all members said, "Look at Yodums, for he wears a PINK hat!". Alas, the more poor Yodums protested, the more the members pointed, and laughed. Finally, one of the administrators bestowed Yodums with a set of 10 pink stars, his to wear as a constant reminder of the dreaded pink hat.

(XIII) The Decline of Debates
As the forums grew, alas not all members were of sound mind. Thus it was deemed that Debates, a site of much argument, pain and flaming, should be closed. With a heavy heart, it was done so.

(XIV) The Dawn of the iNet Age
But the forums grew beyond control, and Skip could no longer support them financially. And so the forums were put into the care of iNet, our step-parent. The love does not flow so freely from iNet, as it did from Skip. However, the forums are still alive and growing today.
When iNet did acquire these forums, they looked upon the theme and said "We must change this". And thus, there was the logo contest. Members laboured long and hard and produced work to the best of their abilities. iNet looked upon these entries, and bestowed a prize upon the member who had created the most attractive of these logos. Alas, his creation was not to be utilised, as although the efforts of the members were varied and interesting, iNet chose a logo designed by one of their own.

(XV) The Passing of Power II
Once again, real life (tm) took its toll. Famous and popular staff became less and less active. Newbie_Doo and Shadow were alas spending less and less time on the forums. And so, new Administrators were appointed. Mr B and LutaWicasa were awarded the red stars, being wise in the ways of the forums, trollhunting, and overclocking.

(XVI) The Passing of a Friend
In the year 2006 the Moderator known as Maddman sadly passed from the ranks of the living, but will always be remembered on these forums. He contributed much to the forums, and this should always be remembered.

(XVII) The Future
And thus, here we are. The golden ages of OC Forums, have for many, gone. However, the forums are here, and these are the forums that taught many, myself included, the vast majority of what they know about computing and overclocking today. Skip, Shadow and Newbie_Doo have all but left. However, it is rumoured that the original man in red still wanders these forums, invisible to the members, and shall, now and then, gift the forums with a post, from his user account....

So there is not an end to this story, for it continues. And shall do, for many years to come.....

Last edited:
We've needed this for a while.............awesome post man. Our history is something that older members talk about a lot but the newer members have no idea who skip was and what he did for this forum........hopefully this will help. Good job.

great job david, this is much needed, and i think well writen!

and i agree, the golden days have passed us by, but let us all enjoy the forums, and try to bring em back!

Hard to believe that a bunch of questions, in some files, on a couple hard drives, in a server, actually has a history.

:thup: Great job Davy me boy.

hibner said:
Hard to believe that a bunch of questions, in some files, on a couple hard drives, in a server, actually has a history.

:thup: Great job Davy me boy.

not just A history, but many historys. Each one of us learned a great deal at these forums, had questions that were answered, and theres usually a story behind each question, you can almost see it.
Follow a new user for a month or so. you can SEE that they are learning with each passing day, reading and posting, asking and answering.
I learned more in the last two years about computers than i will probably ever learn, almost entirely due to these forums and a computer i built and overclokced with help from these forums.
Schools and their classes come and go, a few years in a vocational centre, a year in a tech shed working for the school, finishing up my first year in college. None of these experiances tought me anywheres near a tenth of what i learned from these forums.
I still have a-lot of learning to do, but due to the real life factor, im once again falling behind on the new technologies. Yet i still know more about them than any of my peers at any of my schools.

This is the first i hear of that first split, why did the two teams split, and why are we not working to bring them back together?
Overclockers.com is the only place i go for computer discussion, anywhere else ive found is a waste of time... am i to understand there is another place like this, led by some of its origonal leaders, yet staying seperate?

Como, what happened between Skip and Daniel~ is only fully known by a few long-serving mods, Skip, and Daniel~.

Basically the two people had different ideas on how things should be run. The two ideas were not compatible, so Daniel~ left and founded this website:
http://www.aoaforums.com/frontpage/index.php

Of the staff at AOA, Daniel~, Betty, surlyjoe, wild_andy_c are senior members here.

There isnt any animosity between the sites, just different ideas on how things should work.

great history, david.

maybe from here on out, we should create a thread that is updated once yearly.... with a single post detailing the big 'events' on the forums of that year... new seniors, major movers and shakers, memorable moments (Like I.M.O.G.'s nipple).

Voodoo Rufus said:
Voodoo Rufus gives David an e-Guinness.

Excellent post, and well-needed.

David gets e-Drunk and cuddles Voodoo Rufus. ;)

w00t!

For today i am exactly one year on the forums here...i've heard a great deal of the ancient history but this threads sums 'em all up. Glad to be part of such a great community.

As with every post i've donated my 0.02$, you guys now owe me 60 dollars ;)

Added a bit about Shadow and his mistake...

Also fixed a few minor mistakes - thanks SpeeDj :)

Back