• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In the beginning....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
JoT said:
I know some of us moderators have made it a point to stay hidden, like myself and Sam. <spooky> No one knows anything about Sam, except that he hunts Classifieds trolls with a bazoooookkaaaa! </spooky>

I know some of the forum members could easily reveal what JoT looks like <gloat> JoT knows that Midnight Dream has a picture still stored on the caaaamerrrrraaaaa </gloat> :p

GV2NIX said:
..."Neo-historians" like us who came in later but are interested in the forum's history can post too. I feel like we're archaeologists rediscovering the treasures and lore of an ancient civilization!

Ok, reading it over, it sounds like a cheesy idea, but I still think it would be fun. :)

I would actually get a huge kick out of seeing a few of the very first threads (or posts from those threads) ever. I know there are archived threads, but I mean something from the first weeks of OCforums. From the history, it looked like a lot of that stuff got nuked-but *that* would be buried treasure.

The first few posts are long long gone. The forum in it's first incarnation was completely wiped about five years ago. You can find the first posts in this incarnation of the forum, but they're not the first ever. ;)

I also fixed a couple of things that were out of order...and left a couple of things that aren't historically accurate, but are legend in and of themselves. ;)

It's also interesting to note how some of the minutia have become large and some of the large events are completely glossed over. That, however, is the nature of a history, as it is written by those with the drive to do so in the manner that they percieved it, and as such different events are highlighted than what others who have also experienced the history have highlighted in their own mind. For instance, the day I was promoted to mod was particularly significant in the history of the forums. :p There has been plenty of drama around here, and the post could easily be three times the length it is now. I'm not the one with the drive, though...so it stays in David's vision. ;)

Last edited:
Thelemac said:
The first few posts are long long gone. The forum in it's first incarnation was completely wiped about five years ago. You can find the first posts in this incarnation of the forum, but they're not the first ever. ;)

I also fixed a couple of things that were out of order...and left a couple of things that aren't historically accurate, but are legend in and of themselves. ;)

It's also interesting to note how some of the minutia have become large and some of the large events are completely glossed over. That, however, is the nature of a history, as it is written by those with the drive to do so in the manner that they percieved it, and as such different events are highlighted than what others who have also experienced the history have highlighted in their own mind. For instance, the day I was promoted to mod was particularly significant in the history of the forums. :p There has been plenty of drama around here, and the post could easily be three times the length it is now. I'm not the one with the drive, though...so it stays in David's vision. ;)

Please let me know if I make mistakes. The last few additions were thanks to Su Root :>

still looks great.

i just wonder what the next thing to be added to the history will be?.... perhaps the year of the blue? (i mean, it seems like 3 or 4 times a week someone get's blued)

I really wish some of the old threads were still around. Heck, even some of the semi-old threads would be nice :D

Actually, just this afternoon I was looking for the 'The Great Chicken God Split' -- an event which stands out quite well in my remembrance. For the many who were no doubt not around for this, the forum essentially seperated into two groups, those who remained loyal to the great Chicken God of Overclocking (of whom Thelemac is the High Preist), and those believing it to be an impostor. I don't remember well what the result was, though I believe eventually those who fell away were converted once again to the religion.

Currently no trace of the event exists (from what I can tell) aside from two links in reference to it. That, and this avatar I had saved on my HD:

JigPu

It's close enough not to worry about inaccuracies. ;)

Yeah, the chicken war was awesome. Too bad that was in the old GD before we wiped it.

Ok then, post up your most memorable moment of the year for 2005 :D

What kind of famous links? Like...famous threads? Or useful type links, that are typically found in stickies? Or something completely different than that?

I'm not sure how useful that would be. Stickies are, well stickies...shouldn't be hard to find. Plus, that's not really in the theme of this idea...this is more of a history of the forums and not a technical database (which is what stickies are).

Famous threads would probably be cool, but most of them (if not all) were deleted during forum restructuring since they've mostly been in GD. There might be some kicking around in the technical sections, though. So you'll just have to rely on the memory of those that participated in them. :p

No, I mean the stickies are technical knowledge and don't really fit in the vein of this thread, which is to detail the history and "culture" of this forum. You don't typically learn about the specifics of how his computer works when you study Babbage (unless you're really delving into him) you learn about the trials and tribulations surrounding his completing that project, the stuff going on around him, the people helping and hurting the venture. That's kind of like this thread...it's the people side of the history, not the technical side of the history.

Thelemac said:
No, I mean the stickies are technical knowledge and don't really fit in the vein of this thread, which is to detail the history and "culture" of this forum. You don't typically learn about the specifics of how his computer works when you study Babbage (unless you're really delving into him) you learn about the trials and tribulations surrounding his completing that project, the stuff going on around him, the people helping and hurting the venture. That's kind of like this thread...it's the people side of the history, not the technical side of the history.

yup, I you are right, but I mean more like the picture thead, but that isn't so hard to find ;). Things like the personality pictures thread and stuff.

I kinda miss seeing posts by the admins. I know they lurk around the forums but they so rarely post. :( As for having an OC day, I'm all for it! I think it should be an international holiday.

Back