• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

L M G T F Y Links - Stop Posting Them

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
This has become a problem of increasing frequency over the last month or so. More and more posts have been reported with these insipid links. Here's the bottom line:

L M G T F Y exists for the sole reason of posting a smart alec link in an effort to make the poster seem or feel superior to the person that didn't quite have the searching acumen they did. There is no other reason for its existence as far as I can discern. Maybe someone wants to google it for me. :rolleyes:

I have yet to see a person at whom one of these links is pointed be pleased with the post. More often than not, they are reported which requires us to step in and fix the problem.

So the problem stops now. Rather than post this in every single thread (which is becoming tiresome), we're putting it here for the world to see. Now those that choose to post L M G T F Y links will have their post edited pointing to this post and most likely receive an infraction. Repeat offenders will receive a three-day vacation from the forum.

Before people suggest it, this most likely won't be added to the rules because they are not there to detail every stupid thing that anyone could ever do. It's common sense -and common courtesy- to not be a jerk.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

-hokie

EDIT - In case you've never heard of this before and are curious as to precisely what L M G T F Y is, post #9 has an example link.

EDIT II - FYI, L M G T F Y has been added to our swear filter (hence the spacing in this post), so if you post the link, the link won't work. If you try to use a URL parser to get around that filter, you will be reprimanded as though you had used the original (duh), so refrain from that while you're at it.

EDIT III - For clarity, the acronym stands for Let Me Google That For You.

Last edited:
Thank you, this isn't any-other-tech-forum where it's common-place to see these posts. Technically it can be seen as spamming to build post count to have access to certain parts of the forum as I tend to see it done by a lot of newer members.

Thanks hokie. I have seen this twice today, so far. Would an announcement help get the point across, considering it shows at the top of every forum? Or has that gone the way of the Sticky?

I don't think they've gone the way of the sticky, but it's not wise to over-use them either. This suffices (in my eyes) as fair warning. The gloves are off for these things now.

2 things

1. Our rules and announcements are not intended to specifically disallow every dumb/offensive thing someone can invent (they are broad and timeless to keep them concise - spirit of the rules, not the letter)
2. Not looking to bring further attention than necessary

Just a shot across the bow that staff is eager to drop the hammer on these things going forward. I don't find them relevant or humorous, and a helpful google link achieves the same result without chastising whoever is being replied to. This is about setting the bar higher, not playing limbo.

Because of the way it presents itself. Try this LMGTFY link.

It's not a member being helpful, it's a member saying "Hey look dumba**, this is what you could have done if you were as 1337 as me."

I've never seen anyone happy about those being posted in response to their question. Almost always that post is reported and we get to deal with it. So this is just a heads up that it isn't a welcome response to someone's question. It didn't exist when I became a member here and people were much nicer (and more helpful) than that. We're just trying to keep it that way.

So, why is it wrong?

It takes you to a page that types in the google search in front of you, while 'instructing' you on how to use google, then says, "Was that so hard?"

Basicly they are links you send to people you think are too stupid to use google in the first place.

Ok now I get it!!! never happen to me before, but I can tell you if somebody would have did that to me I woul probably have answered with a couple bad french words and probably a f bomb with that! thx for the clarification!

Ok now I get it!!! never happen to me before, but I can tell you if somebody would have did that to me I woul probably have answered with a couple bad french words and probably a f bomb with that! thx for the clarification!
Completely understandable sentiment, which is why it's such a pet peeve of mine. I'm glad you asked though; I hadn't even thought of explaining to those fortunate enough to have missed these altogether and edited the OP adding a link to the explanation post.

Thx Jeremy, I was thinking that people were saying, let me google that, and post the resulting link, that's why I didn't understand why it was wrong!

Goes without saying that telling someone to go google it counts as well.

I know a person or two that like to do that (not from here), and let me tell you how many fish it would take for me to slap them hard enough if I ever met them IRL. Literally entire markets of fish because I keep breaking the darn things on that little prick's face! Arrr!

That reminds me I gotta go pick up a nice tuna for some chump that said that his computer was good because it ran some alienware software. Slap some sense into him!

sounds like anandtech lol or a certain number of tomshardware posts i have seen.

Its really asinine imho, i think to myself "is this jerk off serious why would i ask a question if i had not already looked myself sheesh"

Thanks for posting didnt even know thats what the term ment either.

Bump so people can see this anew. I can't believe it has been three years since this was posted!

Back