• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amazon.com

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Amazon often gets their shipments to me before I order...and thats without Prime!!:D:p

Seriously though I ordered 3 gifts for my wife Black Friday and they were on my doorstop the next day...Saturday! I tried Prime for 30 days but found I wasn't going to use it and they didn't have much of a selection over netflix. I cancelled a week after the trial expired (40) days...they saw I hadn't used the shipped anything and gladly and instantly refunded my money. The one time one of their vendors sent me a wrong item, the return was instant and totally painless...almost ridiculously so. All shipping refunded along with the purchase. :thup:

If there was an Amazon cult, I'd join it. I praise them so much that you'd think I work for them. I buy nearly everything from Amazon. If they sold groceries, which they're apparently working on, I'd buy from them too.

Just a fantastic website and Prime is great. I love being able to watch old tv shows with instant video. I'm about 2/3s of the way done with Star Trek: The Next Generation. :)

If there was an Amazon cult, I'd join it. I praise them so much that you'd think I work for them. I buy nearly everything from Amazon. If they sold groceries, which they're apparently working on, I'd buy from them too.

Just a fantastic website and Prime is great. I love being able to watch old tv shows with instant video. I'm about 2/3s of the way done with Star Trek: The Next Generation. :)

Coincidentally they offer exactly that grocery delivery in 3 current markets, Seattle and Los Angeles being 2 currently served by AmazonFresh grocery service. I believe it's $299 per year and you never have to go to a supermarket again. So tempting.

Did any of you folks see the Amazon feature on 60 minutes a few weeks ago ? They were testing these little helicopter like drones that could be used to drop off packages over short distances. They would be course plotted and dropped on your doorstep. Of course this is for a few years from now but it is amazing. This would allow for alot of same day delivery.

I also expect Amazon will be handling there own shipping soon, speaking with the Fed ex and UPS drivers at work sometimes over half there trucks are Amazon freight.

I split up my purchases between New Egg and Amazon. Amazon is a top notch outfit. I have gotten computer cases, optical drives, hard drives, and GPU's along with software etc. Not one problem to report.

Amazon is crack.

I recently signed up for Prime and have been enjoying it. I bought a lot of accessories from my new truck from there. Got my oldest a Kindle. Love being able to instantly buy him a book and within a few seconds, its there for him to read.

Haven't bought anything from Newegg in a while.

A positive experience: I just accidentally purchased a movie on Instant Video in "standard definition" when I had intended to get the HD version. Five minutes later after livechat with support, and refund already issued. :thup:

Last blackfriday (2012), i had bought a nice 40" LG LED TV through Amazon Prime. Once it arrived, it ended up having a huge crack in the screen. I opened a ticket with Amazon, and they had sent me a new TV which I received the next day (free overnight shipping) and they also sent a company to pick up the old TV (didn't have take it to a shipping center).

Its customer service like that which keeps me coming back to them. Dealing with this slow RMA from from newegg and having to pay for shipping the product back makes me think I should shop a little less at newegg for some computer parts.

Last edited:
I just jumped on the Amazon bandwagon myself. Newegg had gotten 99% of my business in the past but that is over after they censored a review on an item (review was not negative just saying what issues I had with an item) that wasn't against any of their review policies. I was kind and let them know why I was leaving and cleared card data from my account. I also removed myself from sales and promo notices.

I have had a few dealings with Amazon in the past and everyone of them have been good with extremely fast shipping.

I've only sent back a few things to Amazon, the last one being a Fiio E07 DAC about a year ago. Heard it was decent it for the price, had it sitting in a wishlist for a while and ordered it. The day after I got it, I realized that a newer model had come out while it was on my wishlist (the E07K) for the exact same price. Emailed Amazon, told them my story, and they were very understanding.

Also, Prime helps alot if you have a Kindle (kind of duh). I use my Fire for their video service 99% of the time, and the free books for my Paperwhite are nice (sad it's only 1 book a month though). Not bad since I'm still on the tail end of the last year I'll be able to get the $40/yr student plan.

As a side note: To any students, an e-reader helps. My last semester of college, I had several professors have a couple large PDF files as required reading (as in 100+ page online books). Tossing them on my kindle was a lot easier than either printing them out or having to be that guy that carries my laptop to the bathroom :D

Get the Amazon app and use it next time you're in a B&M store and see something you like. You can scan the barcode and Amazon will instantly pull it up. Now you can compare price to see if Amazon is the better deal and reviews to see if it is junk.

I was wondering when they'd hike it. $80/year seemed low for what you get. I mean comparing the video streaming prices along, $80/yr for Amazon prime vs. $96/yr for netflix. Then you add in things like the free shipping.

Amazon is amazing. Love the site. However, just noticed they are starting to finally tax their products. Thanks Obama. Being familiar with the Drones, that is going to be a logistic nightmare. It is going to be a long while before they start using that method of delivery. Maybe I'll try to get a job with them haha.

Simple: It was one of his pushes for all internet sales, not just amazon, to be taxed. There were only like two states that forced sellers to tax products purchases by their residents. Now the benefit of going on the internet to score better deals/prices by avoiding sale taxes is slowly beginning to diminish.

Sales and use tax have been in place well before the current president. You are supposed to, as the consumer, pay tax on all purchases you made in other states (ie, online). What was happening was there was no way to enforce that, so people were getting away with it. Now, individual states are trying to enforce it at the retail level because they are losing money by you, as the consumer, buying items from out of state and not paying any tax as opposed to you buying items from brick & mortar stores in the state and paying your sales tax right then and there.

Still totally worth it, IMHO, especially if you can get the "Amazon Student" version, which only costs half as much. Between the free movies on Amazon video, the free second-day shipping on rather large and cumbersome items, and the occasional free book on my Kindle, I'm quite sure I've gotten more out of it than I've paid every year for the past several years. And that doesn't include usage from the direct family members they encourage me to share it with :)

Cullam3n, according to your reference and in regards to e-commerce, the bill was proposed last year "to give the states authority to require sellers to collect sales tax on out-of-state sales". I can only assume that the article is out of date and that the bill has been passed with recent changes. This makes it a national law to enforce the "sales and use tax" because certain individual states already had these laws implace, so there was a way to enforce it, to tax out-of-state sales prior to 2013. It was up to the state, if they didnt enforce it before hand then that was on them.

Back