• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air con unit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DRaZZ

I got hold of an air conditioning unit, its an office type so its pretty big ! i wanna duct the air from it to the heatsink on the cpu, is this gunna create condensation in a big way ? what steps should i take to prevent any condensation ?
Thanks.

hmm...this isnt too 'extreme' but good question. id say (and im not 100% on this) that if you have that air as the only incoming air, and all other fans exhasust, you shouldnt have to worry about condensation.

well i was thinking of cudting the air the cpu, gcard and drives, but was worried a bout condensation, cuz im pretty sure its gunna form ! just not sure of the best way to protect the components !

DRaZZ said:
well i was thinking of cudting the air the cpu, gcard and drives, but was worried a bout condensation, cuz im pretty sure its gunna form ! just not sure of the best way to protect the components !
well as i said, if you have only the cold air blowing into the case and all other fans as exhaust, i think you might be okay. if that's not the case, then you would probably have to cover some stuff in some conformal coating or something like that.

So long as your computer parts aren't the coldest part (they won't be) you shouldn't have condensation, if you get any it'll likely be on the outside of your case, or perhaps on a cd-drive.

id say using a office air con unit is pretty extreme lol, there pretty damn big!

is this going to cool the room to or just the pc
if it is going to just cool the pc you may have to be carefull it will make conasation averyware the dopoint is hier than pc temp!
you may try to lower the temp slowly so the condenser in air condisner will remove most of water.But you will have to seal the pc from out side air first and put rice or auther stuff to absorb the rest of water
sory about my speling i do not have speling check on this pc

you mean this ? lol tried it a couple nights ago and after running it for 20 minutes my cpu temps got down to 0 degrees celcius but it wouldnt turn back on...i touched the inside of the case and it was ALL WET...dried it out and worked fine tho...but yeah, if this is what u meant then it doesnt work.

aire2bx.jpg

You need to recycle the same air over and over so the condenser in the air conditioner will have a chance to remove the water
You will need to seal the return too so the same air goes over and over with leaving the loop
and go slow in lowering the temp

WOW ferni, you seriously got lucky all survived... Where you atleast able to attempt some nice overclocks during those 20 minutes??

i got from a stable but hot 3.4 aircooled to a very stable 3.6...take in mind this is from 2.4ghz...thats all i had time to test before i had noahs ark in there...in the following days im gonna make another <but a little more safe and professional> cooling mod...alls im going to say is it involves a stock HS, alot of insulation, a copper tube, and mountains of dry ice...mwahahahaha

If you're using an AC unit that's placed in a window, the air it blows in _should_ be very dry. The point of an air conditioner is to remove the humidity from the air. Putting it in the window lets it not only vent out hot air it removes from inside, but also to let the water removed from the air drip to the ground.

lclark2074 said:
You need to recycle the same air over and over so the condenser in the air conditioner will have a chance to remove the water.

isnt it the evaporator where condensation takes places and is then drained away? :)

also its good to bear in mind that window units wont remove the humidity from the air nearly as well as the a or v coil in a typical residential application will.

Back