• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux on an iMac (PPC)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lennytiger

I've read it's possible... just need to download the PPC iso for the particular distro... but... does it work!?

I have an old blueberry my mom used to use so i'm wondering how possible this is?! I can then use the DVD player from the iMac in my room and it's silent so it could run 24/7 and possibly fold using the linux client, what you guys think?

This does not directly relate, but...

Four years ago a friend gave me a cd of Redhat (4.1 I think) for PPC, so I figured I would expand my horizons and check it out. Thankfully I read the documentation first and discovered the distro did not yet have USB support - not good for an iMac!

I'm sure all the newer ones will have USB support now, but at the time it was quite a dissapointment - though not as much as it would have been if I had just installed and tried it! Lol.

How's your DVD player support and everything... I just started downloading the ISO now, should be done tomorrow morning... damn cheap 192k DSL

I used to have gentoo on my powerbook (15", 1.67ghz). It was very very nice, but touchpad support was bad, and I found out there's no linux ppc radeon drivers that support any accelleration. So, I went back to OSX, and installed portage on top of it.

Keiron's got a G3 running yellowdog unless I'm mistaken. Works great the few times I've used it.

lennytiger said:
How easy is Ubuntu to set up?
Ubuntu is very easy to setup, the install is not within a GUI, but it is about as close as you can get. You pretty much just need to follow directions and have a basic knowledge of your hardware.

well i got so far as multiseat system configuration and it bombed out on me... the network also wasn't configured? Any ideas?

BTW this is Hoary v 5.04 the latest version... I have no idea with macs or linux so this an absolute grey area for me.

Ubuntu's wiki is out of date... and their basic documentation pages.

Back