• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm irritated with EB Games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FudgeNuggets

I was drooling and salivating all day because I was anticipating going and picking up my new Xbox 360 HD-DVD player I had preordered. I already had Mission Impossible 3, Unforgiven and Aeon Flux HD-DVDs all lineup up and ready to play. I had a fridge full of Jameson's and Guinness. I walked into the store to pick it up and the midget with the hippie goatee and horned-rim glasses said, "dude we didn't get it in today, but it should be here tomorrow, there was a shipping problem". Now normally it would be no biggie, but I don't exactly live close to town so it was a 15 mile drive for nothing but disappointment. I said to the guy "if I go over to Best Buy or Circuit City and they have it, can I get my deposit back?" and he said "No problem, dude". Okay, I went there and Best Buy said they were not getting them in until Nov 21st, then I went to Circuit City and they said they were getting them Saturday, so I'm like WTF!!!! I go back to EB and ask the hippie dwarf, what the hell was going on and when the hell were they getting them. He then said that "oh, we get stuff way before they do, we already have Gears of War while they won't get it until next week." I restrained myself and resisted the nagging urge to lean over the counter and choke the vertically challenged man and said, "I could have at least got a phone call so I didn't waste the trip".

This is why I don't preorder stuff, but hopefully it will be available tomorrow as it shows they are available on the web-site. I'm just not very happy about driving 30 miles round trip for nothing when a phone call could have saved me the time and gas money.

Review of the HD-DVD postponed until tomorrow, hopefully.

Last edited:
Oni said:
Phone them tomorrow before you make the trek, dude.

Yeah, no doubt. I had planned on it. I just expected it to be there because there were no signs that it wouldn't be this evening.

i think if you gota take a long trek to get somewere.. id call them first anytime.. only problem with me is.. i hate talking on the phone.. just.. i fear the phone >><<

FudgeNuggets said:
Yeah, no doubt. I had planned on it. I just expected it to be there because there were no signs that it wouldn't be this evening.

You're north of Ancaster Village near Hamilton Airport, aren't you? Did you place your order around there, or down in Hamilton somewhere?

FudgeNuggets said:
I restrained myself and resisted the nagging urge to lean over the counter and choke the vertically challenged man.

Good thing to because he's a level 60 hippie dwarf:eek:

.. i am 5'1" ... *runs away* Thats evil you you.. dwarf hater ... lol

tho..if i didnt shave.. i would look very good for a dwarf..

You're irritated with EB Games? I'd say you're about 10 years late.

I was irritated with EB Games back in 1996.

If I want something (well... back when I lived in the U.S.), I just walk into Best Buy and buy it. If they don't have it I go to circuit city or whoever happens to be across the street from Best Buy. And if THEY don't have it, I just come back a week later. Worked like a charm the last summer I spent in the states.

But you had Jameson's AND Guinness?

That sucks dude... I've got a case of Champagne and me and that damned Japanese girl I was on the verge of going out with had barely a glass before she LEFT EARLY.

Sigh...

On the bright side, my date this evening was multiplied by two. When things start going wrong for ya Fudge... just multiply the number of women and the amount of alcohol.

Oni said:
You're north of Ancaster Village near Hamilton Airport, aren't you? Did you place your order around there, or down in Hamilton somewhere?

Yeah, I'm not far from the airport. I actually went clear into Hamilton, over on Upper James..

This why I have never pre ordered anything in my life lol. Don't you just love retail videogame stores? I honestly can't even stand to even go inside the places, such lovely employees. :rolleyes:

its less EB/Gamestop that makes me mad.

its the fact that game company's always tell you the SHIPPING date of games, instead of the date which most stores will sell them.

like FF3, everywhere SAYS november 14th. But almost no store, except those right next to the distribution centers will be selling them the 14th! most stores won't get it till around noon on the 15th.

the only time this isn't true, is with a BIG launch, such as the PS3, Xbox 360, and wii. only BIG launches actually come in when SAID.

stupid game industry.

but EB games screwed over a friend of mine a year ago. ( before the Gamestop merger ).

He reserved a game there, and was told, " we will have it wednesday". Well, wednesday comes by, we go there. and they tell us " uh...yeah. We didn't get many pre-orders for it, so we didn't priority ship it, we won't get it till tomorrow ". oooh boy we were mad.

soo, we drove to gamestop, a whole 10 min. drive using the interstate. come to find out, THEY had it in stock. so we drove back to EB games, he told them straight up " I want to cancel my reserve, and i want CASH BACK, no store credit. Gamestop has the game i want, and you guys don't, because YOU didn't priority ship it ". well, there wasn't much they could do, so they handed him the cash. we drove back to gamestop, and picked up the game.

heh, i still remember when the gamecube came out. gamestop AND EB games were both sold out of pre-orders, and didn't have any extra to buy. we call walmart ( when the mall still had pay phones in it ), come to find out, walmart still had 8 consoles left. We rushed there, and each of us picked one up. this was on release day, at about 6 - 7PM. the only time in my life, did i ever praise Walmart.

I used to love my EB because the store manager was a total game freak and would either send someone to the airport or go himself the day a game was shipped. He would do all the midnight releases and wouldn't blow smoke up people asses when they asked him questions.

Now he's gone and its still an okay store, but the manager really makes the store. So I ask about GoW yesterday and the guy is like, "yeah we didn't get it today it'll be tomorrow, Dave (the old manager) had some at his store, but not us." I thought, go figure. He probably sent someone or went himself to pick the darn things up like he always did for major releases.

Retail chains are so damn micro managed they don't realise an hour or two in $7 an hour labor can net them some very pleased customers which in turn increases sales.

I'm about to do some Smurf-smashing and Hobbit-hanging here. I called at 12:30 because it's not far from where I work and I was going to go pick it up at lunch, guy says call back in an hour. An hour later I call and he says AGAIN call back in an hour. Still no sign. I'm putting off lunch until 2:30pm to see if they have it yet. The website said available last night but is now saying backordered, don't know if that's a good or bad sign. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

EB and Gamestop have always called me when my pre-order was in.

Sidenote, Target usually gets the games the day before they are "released" (I said usually) So, like Gears of War was supposed to release on the 9th, we had it yesterday on the 8th. Swing by your local Target around 12-1pm the day before the release and they should have it.

As for the HDDVD problem...it was a national shipping issues, no one in Nashville recieved them either.

And the saga continues........
Called and got the old familiar "try back tomorrow".
I decided to go all SilverSinkSam on them and called Microsoft to check and see if it had actually been shipped. After 25 minutes of annoying Stabbing Westward type music, I found out that they had indeed been shipped.
Tomorrow if there is no HD-DVD drive, will be contacting EB GAMES corporate.

FudgeNuggets said:
And the saga continues........
Called and got the old familiar "try back tomorrow".
I decided to go all SilverSinkSam on them and called Microsoft to check and see if it had actually been shipped. After 25 minutes of annoying Stabbing Westward type music, I found out that they had indeed been shipped.
Tomorrow if there is no HD-DVD drive, will be contacting EB GAMES corporate.

Probably won't do you any good. They probably won't care. What you SHOULD do is get the real SilverSinkSam on them :)

Back