• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build Log: Project HazMat

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skorpien

:welcome:

Hi all,

So, I finally have everything together. It took a long time and a lot of money :rain: but I'm finally ready to start my first watercooled build log. You'll have to bear with me as this will most likely be a slow build (I'll have to work whenever I have the spare time), but hopefully it'll look as nice as some of the great builds I've seen in these forums. Here goes!

Specs:

CPU: Core i7 2600K
MoBo: Asus P8P67 PRO Rev 3.0
RAM: Patriot 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 CL9
HDD: 2x1TB WD SATA3 7200rpm (RAID 0)
ODD: Blu-ray Writer and DVD Writer
Video: HIS Radeon HD 6850 1 GB x2 (CrossFire)
PSU: Corsair AX1200
Case: Mountain Mods U2 UFO Crystal Ship

Main watercooling hardware:

CPU Block: XSPC Raystorm Intel Edition
GPU Blocks: Koolance VID-AR685 full cover GPU block x2
Tubing: Masterkleer 3/8" ID 1/2" OD x2 (green and orange)
Anti Kink Coils: Green and Orange (Forgot the make)
Fittings: Various Bitspower 3/8" ID 1/2" OD compression fittings
Radiators: Swiftech MCR320-QP x2
Radiator Fans: Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-15 x6
Reservoirs: FrozenQ Liquid Fusion 250mm Reservoir x2
Pumps: Swiftech MCP35X x2
Coolant: Distilled w/ PTNuke and Silver Kill Coil x2

Plus various other watercooling and modding items that not only look nice but also drove the costs sky high...

This will be a dual loop system along the lines of the infamous Mountain Mods build by shazza. It has a very strong green and orange theme (VERY strong) and will be completely see through.

Anywho, I took a couple of photos for the start of this log and will be taking and posting photos as I go along.

MountainModsFull.jpg

MountainModsTop.jpg

MountainModsBottom.jpg

And finally, the case that will hold it all:
MountainModsCase.jpg

You'll learn to hate the tubing coils, they are so hard to get spaced perfectly. I tried them on my much smaller first build for about 20 minutes......... Circular file they went. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Looks like an epic build, lots of fun and thinking/tinkering ahead.

Your gonna love it!

Thanks Conumdrum, this will be a huge learning experience for sure and I'm hoping it'll be a fun one too. I only got the coils for looks as I definitely don't need to worry about kinks with this case and the numerous 45 and 90 degree fittings I have. Though I may ditch them if they prove to be a bigger headache than they're worth.

I also wanted to take the opportunity to thank you and the many other forum members (too many to list) that have helped me to learn about watercooling before starting this build. It's really a great community you guys have here.

Also, what do people think of the project's name? I had a really tough time figuring that out (all the good names were taken) and was wondering what people thought of it...

You mean you don't filter the oil in your computer? How else do you keep it clean?

But seriously, that's just one of those things that opens jar lids and stuff without damaging them. Great for taking apart the Liquid Fusion res without scratching anything. Probably can be used as an oil filter remover too (might actually be one of its listed uses).

Quick question for the community. I'm looking to etch one of the side panels of this build with a stylized logo of the name. I've been entertaining this idea below, but I keep looking at it and thinking that it reads "HOZ MOT" instead of the intended "HAZ MAT". If anyone has any suggestions on how I can improve it, I'd be forever grateful.

HazMat.jpg

Yea, the A really isn't there. But as an artist, you can explain to the non-enlightened what it really means.

I'd use the top 'A' to the bottom too. The top one looks more like an 'A'.

Are you set on it saying "hazmat" what about images that may represent hazmat

Thanks for the suggestion Conumdrum. I'm trying to keep both the biohazard and radiation symbol if I can since I'm using biohazard and radiation shaped fanguards. You did give me an idea though, I'm going to try placing triangles around them to see if that gives them more of an "A" appearance.

-=AC=- I'm not dead set on using wording, but I've seen so many other builds that do that look amazing (and there's no question in anybody's mind what it's called when they see it). What do you have in mind if I may ask?

I have also thought about just using two interlocked biohazard and radiation symbols instead and just leaving the lettering off. I'll create a mockup and post back when I can.

Ying the radiation, then Yang it with 50,000 year hazmat stuff from the radiation?

Looks pretty good but Ying/Yang is so pure it really shouldn't be mixed with other graphics IMHO.

Looks really good though, I think few would even understand so no worries there.

Go with it.

I love that orange and green, like that you have the T-Virus res as well :D cant wait to see more pics as the build comes along.

Okay, this is original, AND sick!
Ying the radiation, then Yang it with 50,000 year hazmat stuff from the radiation?

Looks pretty good but Ying/Yang is so pure it really shouldn't be mixed with other graphics IMHO.

Looks really good though, I think few would even understand so no worries there.

Go with it.
Yeah that did cross my mind, seeing as the yin-yang symbolizes opposites being in balance. But honestly it was more of an aesthetic choice. Something which incorporates both symbols and also has a bit of me in it (I very much believe in balance in nature).

That and it could be argued that this world is very much out of balance as of late with nuclear fallout and the sterilization of the world a likely outcome if things do not change... Yeah... we'll go with that O_O
I love that orange and green, like that you have the T-Virus res as well :D cant wait to see more pics as the build comes along.
Thanks! As soon as I saw those reservoirs, I knew I had to do a build with a biohazard theme. Yes, I'm a nerd lol
Looking good what about this?
Funny you should post that. I had a similar idea before the yin-yang idea came to me...
HazMat2.jpg

Back