• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Your thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I think I will take a break for a while after SETI I ends. It will feel strange to not have a bunch of computers running all over the house, but it will be nice in a way. I guess I have a feeling like a cross between "empty cruncher" and "anxious to retire" syndromes. ;)

After a break I might start up 3 or 4 crunchers and make a modest contribution. I'll probably sell the rest and buy a nice telescope. Been wanting to do that for a while now. Maybe I'll still be able to make a contribution to the hunt ET that way. ;)

About stats. I haven't tried BOINC and I don't know anything about how Berkley will keep track of stats. But I did get the impression that you will get credit for all the processing power you contribute. But instead of counting work units it will perhaps count the FLOPS you contribute. A new top of the line computer will still do 500 to 600 million FLOPS (just guessing) as opposed to the 50 million or so FLOPS that a PII might do. So more and better computers will still keep you ahead of the pack.

It will be a lot different, but I don't think they'll remove the important element of competition from how they do stats. I think they will remove many of the current ways to cheat. It will be interesting to see.

Back