• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Impressions of XP...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

supraway

I just got done installing WinXP. I must say, its quite an odd operating system.

Windows 2000 Professional + Powerpuff Girls = Windows XP.

Yeah, seems as though it is going to eat the crap out of my system as far as resources go. I already set as much as I could back to Windows 2000, I probably should have done 2000 again in the first place.

P.S. I hate Windows Media Player XP or whatever the hell it is... I want back my old basic Windows Media Player...

I already have it set on that skin, I'm talking back to Media Player 6.2 or whatever the version that came bundled with Win2k was, the one where there are no skins at all.

I myself prefer Win 2k Pro over Win XP. Runs much faster on my machine. Maybe when I get more ram I'll go back to XP. But not untill then.

had it on took it off after 2 weeks, had the beta long ago, took it off, dual booted it with 2k to play with and it hijacked 2k, and killed most everything that could interfere with the xp MS stuff, i now have a copy of XP pro corp sitting on my rack along side my old nt terminal server, suse 4.0 and the other OS castaways. i will prob add it to a vmware install soon just to play with, but so far nothing beats 2k, i run 2k server and it plays all my games etc. rock stable, always has been , much more configable then xp, xp seemed really locked down in some ways, particularly all the new versions of software, most everything seemed ported to maintain default, simplistic, with minimal config options. xp did seem faster though, but what after a few months of use, i can only guess, cause i wont last that long

Last edited:
Ok, it's now the end of my first day with XP... and I must say I'm beginning to enjoy it. I have set it up in sort of a pseudo Win2k/WinXP theme, and it looks REALLY GOOD, sort of like Gnome for Linux. The fonts are smoothed, I'm using alpha blending with Win2k Start menu and Win2k file and directory listings. I found some really good sites which explained a few performance and tweaking issues.
www.tweakxp.com
www.regedit.com

I'm still waiting for Explorer or XP to crash, but after a full day of using it, not a single thing has occoured. Generally I would get 1 explorer crash a day with Win2k, and a blue screen every month or so. We'll have to see how this goes.

I've been using XP for a little over a month now and have had a few crashes. I like the way XP looks, but that's about it. Win2k is more stable.

i upgraded from win2k to xp and i didnt i must say it was a wise choice. . . as stable as win2k but i can run more game, and it looks different . . .only had 1 memory dump in the months that i've had it. . .

Yeah, I think I'll keep XP. I'm still waiting for it to crash, I'm going on three days straight (about 18 hours my usage), running MathCAD, WinMX, Direct Connect, Winamp, and ICQ. I'm seeing about the exact same stability as Win2k. I like the appearance more, and haven't had any compatability issues yet (I didn't in Win2k either, though). One complaint I have developed -- occasionally, the sound crackles in Unreal Tournament, but there may be a small issue I haven't looked into. How are the WinXP VIA 4-in-1 drivers?

couple of friends have winXP. XP pro and XP home
dude let me tell you.. I have used both machines, both got 1.6 P4 256 RDram(home) and a 256DDR (pro) . the XP home comp (dell) boots in 15 seconds, I noticed lag with some programs the rest is same speed as my win2k(900mhz athlon, 512sdram) when opening and run prgrams. my other friend who had win2k and upgraded to XP pro thinks it was a waste of money. well.. XP is a good upgrade if you got Win98 or ME (both sucks a$s).:beer:

Last edited:
Generally the performance of XP depends alot on whether you did an upgrade of an existing OS, a full install over an existing OS, or a clean install. Most problems with XP are a result of conflicts with old drivers or incompatible programs. I have done all three types of installs and a clean install is the only way to go in the long run. If you take the time to do it right from the start you will have a much better experience with XP, as you would with any other OS. So if you want to try XP, reformat your hard drive, install XP, go to the Windows Update site and do all the updates, then install your programs.

Back