• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is Windows 7 worth the $???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Then you have never actually tried a reinstall using the OEM disk. I can tell you from experience that an OEM disk will simply start installing itself and delete all the files on the hard drive. It will not recognize you had a previous windows install and preserve your old files.

A retail disk, allows you to reinstall and keeps all the old files.

With Vista/7, you don't need to do a repair install, as both have a built-in repair feature which handles the process much more effectively and efficiently.

As far as XP goes, I've done many, many repair installs using an OEM disk.

And FWIW, DOS has not run within windows since W98SE; the proper term is "command prompt".

What does it offer over XP in terms of features or use ability?

Well as a gamer DX 10 and 11 are biggies for me personally.

I just find XP outdated, I can't explain alot of it but I never looked back to XP after using Vista (only used 7 RC). I'm not a power user who digs deep into the OS or probably even uses half of what is available, I just prefer Vista/7 over XP. I just can't see using an ancient (by computer standards of time XP is ancient) OS on any hardware released in the last few years.

Also I have never felt the need to reinstall between system upgrades (I run about a 2 yr cycle) where with XP i was on a 6-12 month reinstall cycle.

1. 64bit OS allows you to address +4GB
  2. Much better security built into the kernel
  3. Much better driver support
  4. Much easier to install
  5. Dramatically improved navigation between windows
  6. Does not require "refresh installs;" continues to perform consistently
  7. Built-in repair features greatly simplify system repairs

I could go on, but that should suffice for now. I find XP clunky, outmoded, cumbersome to use and a massive security headache. Our company will likely stop supporting XP in the 1st quarter of 2012, ahead of MS...

1. winXP comes in 64 bits, if you need it, and most ppl don't use 2GB never mind more than 4GB.

2. better security - I still see regular updates to w7 happening every tuesday, so security must still be weak.

3. driver support - never had a driver problem, just use the support disk

4. w7 does install faster, but I'm not sure that's just the faster machines. I can tell you that winXP installs very fast on an i7 with an ssd.

5. window navigation better - I don't know what that means actually, explain please.

6. no refresh install? are you kidding, I have had to use the w7 repair disk 4 times already, when w7 booted into its pretty rotating balls, and then stopped.

7. built in repair - I don't know about this one either, again explain because I don't know how to access this

You may now continue with more w7 features.

Well as a gamer DX 10 and 11 are biggies for me personally.

OK, plus one for w7 for sure. If you are a gamer and if you need dx10 you have to go w7 - I'm not.

However, there is no physical reason winXP couldn't have dx10 - its just M$ wanting to sell you their new operating system.

If you currently have Windows Vista then yes, 7 is definitely worth it.

Such an overhaul compared to Vista, maybe not UI wise but more of the internal workings of the OS.

hardly, personal opinion, the jump from vista to 7 is barely worth it for most vs XP to 7.

Then you have never actually tried a reinstall using the OEM disk. I can tell you from experience that an OEM disk will simply start installing itself and delete all the files on the hard drive. It will not recognize you had a previous windows install and preserve your old files.

Sure if your using a Dell OEM disk.. if you buy an OEM disk from newegg or any store, it has all of the normal install features retail does, i know, i have 17 OEM copies at work and i only install OEM.

If your OEM disk just installs and erases everything you either:

1. have a OEM from an OEM = a restore disk
2. a versions set to run off a script and install in silent mode basically.
3. are doing it wrong.

And again yes there is a physical reason XP cant have DX10/11 which has been explained a million times over.

As far as XP goes, I've done many, many repair installs using an OEM disk.

And FWIW, DOS has not run within windows since W98SE; the proper term is "command prompt".

I have an OEM disk, I will try it Monday and report back.

LOL, "command prompt", sure looks a lot like DOS to me.

Actually I've never used a retail disc only OEM and I assure you the repair option is there, enter exhibits a,b,and c

IMG_1741.jpg

IMG_1738.jpg

IMG_1739.jpg

1. winXP comes in 64 bits, if you need it, and most ppl don't use 2GB never mind more than 4GB.

Driver support for XP64 is very poor to put it nicely, and the OS is a train wreck as a result. W7-64, on the other hand, has very robust driver support from all manufacturers.

RAM is cheap, more RAM means your machine performs better in intensive tasks, such as content creation. Even average users are now editing sound, images and video, all of which benefit from more RAM. Why intentionally limit yourself?

2. better security - I still see regular updates to w7 happening every tuesday, so security must still be weak.

Using that logic, open source must have the worst security on the planet, as new versions and patches come out daily. I'm sure you can see the fallacy of this reasoning. The fact of the matter is that Vista/7 have a completely different kernel than XP, developed from the ground up to have much better security.

3. driver support - never had a driver problem, just use the support disk

Why go through so much hassle? Just install Win7 and most drivers are already there. Furthermore, all manufacturers are now placing priority on drivers for 7, allowing for better performance and more features. Once again, why intentionally limit yourself?

4. w7 does install faster, but I'm not sure that's just the faster machines. I can tell you that winXP installs very fast on an i7 with an ssd.

The word was easier; since you don't need to install nearly so many drivers, nor answer so many questions, 7 installs with much less hassle.

5. window navigation better - I don't know what that means actually, explain please.

Aero is much more than transparency. Point to a taskbar icon, and you’ll see a thumbnail-sized preview. Hover on a thumbnail, and it morphs into a full-screen preview. Shake and Peek cut through desktop clutter by quickly minimizing open windows or turning them invisible. Linky

6. no refresh install? are you kidding, I have had to use the w7 repair disk 4 times already, when w7 booted into its pretty rotating balls, and then stopped.

Then you have defective hardware or you're doing something wrong. With over 200 Vista/7 machines in the field, we have yet to receive a single service call directly pertaining to the OS. XP was running about 30% in comparison.

7. built in repair - I don't know about this one either, again explain because I don't know how to access this

Please see previous quote from jaymz9350

Last edited:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...an't+winxp+run+dx10?&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

DX10 is do-able on Windows XP

"MS is screwing its customers to force an upgrade and you are a pawn in their revenue generation scheme."

LOL the inquirer..lol

So why was it the projects to try and move DX10 to XP all failed and died off then if it was so possible?

orion it seems you clearly don't like MS, you clearly don't like Windows (Vista? and 7) and you we were probably one of the people spreading the fud about Vista sucking so bad yet never truly using it, stick with XP then because no matter what people say you will find anything to fight what they say and try to claim XP is superior or linux or what ever with out ever realyl understand windows 7.

I got in on the pre order deal, and bought a copy of Professional and Home Premium for $150.00. I used the Home to build a computer for some friends, and the Professional was for me. I'd been using the RC, so I knew what to expect. It has worked very well for me, and has been worth the money. XP is fine, but it's the past. The memory limitation alone is a significant reason to move on, much less everything else.

LOL the inquirer..lol

So why was it the projects to try and move DX10 to XP all failed and died off then if it was so possible?

orion it seems you clearly don't like MS, you clearly don't like Windows (Vista? and 7) and you we were probably one of the people spreading the fud about Vista sucking so bad yet never truly using it, stick with XP then because no matter what people say you will find anything to fight what they say and try to claim XP is superior or linux or what ever with out ever realyl understand windows 7.

Calm down a notch dude. I'm not saying XP is superior, and I have no doubt w7 is a step up - just I see no real reason to upgrade. On new machines w7 is the future, so you have to go there.

I have Vista on a laptop, and yes its SLOW, and annoying. I have posted earlier about how to speed it up by stripping Vista of its behind the scenes smarts.

I have w7 on two machines, I don't see any additional useful functionality vs XP - miniature web page images don't do it for me. I find all that transparent stuff to be useless and distracting - very pretty though.

Last edited:
Going back to my original statement... some of the figures i was pulling out of my ***... most likely not correct, but not all software can be run on either system, yes windows has windows specific software, mac has mac specific software... but third party software i'm sure tends to favor windows?
and as for the price... tell me where you can buy Windows home premium for $99??? I can't find anything cheaper than $130 (up until just very recently I wasn't considering the Home premium, (with XP the home version could only handle so many home computers on a network, and my greedy bro with his mainstream pc, his macbook, his gf/s macbook, his media pc... and i'm sure he's got another one.) does anyone know if Home Premium has a maximum computer network restriction???

My old laptop had XP on it. I do rather like XP.

I ran Vista on it for a bit, hated it. Really ground to a halt all the time. It also causes a colleague of mine no end of problems (his laptop came with it). All of my experience with Vista has been completely and totally negative. It's the worst OS I've ever dealt with; this is coming from someone who ran Windows ME for a full year before upgrading to XP.

Windows 7 is pretty damn good. I went for the 64 bit Win 7 on my new laptop. Although it has some compatibility issues (notably with Bruker Topspin which I use almost daily) the XP Mode just about fixes it. If the price is right, I'd upgrade from XP or Vista to 7. I wouldn't pay a fortune for it.

NB: I know a lot of people are very quick to defend Vista, and find twenty things that people are doing wrong. It's my experience - and only my experience, purely personal opinion - that it's a steaming dog turd and Win 7 is far more than just "Vista fixed".

Back