• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two routers, can't share files.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doh boy

So I am using two routers to successfully distribute my internet connection, but I can't seem to share files between computers on different routers. If I put them on the same router, it works fine.

Router1 is a Westell 9100em modem/router, this is acting as the dhcp server. Its IP is 192.168.1.1.

Router2 is a DLink DI624, and I made sure both the DHCP server is turned off and that the WAN port is unused. I set the IP to 192.168.1.254.

Both routers subnets are set to 255.255.255.0

Computer1 is on router1 and computer2 is on router2.

Computer2 can ping both routers but not computer1.

Computer1 can ping only router1.

I got it working just once before, simply from a random combination of unplugging and plugging ethernet cables...but obviously that's not a working solution. And as soon as both computers were turned off, file sharing didn't work the next time they were turned on.

Anyone know whats going on? I might just give up on trying to use router2 as a switch and just buy a switch instead.....

I hate networking LOL

what OS are you using?

clear out all the duff configs you may have created trying to get it to work... but the fact one cannot see the other is the problem (had two routers working myself but I gave up because they were useless for sharing large files, security descriptors and permissions and different drive formats to mess them all back up again)

if you can get the machines detecting each other on the network your in business.
if its vista youll need a different login name and pass for both machines... then program the user details of one user into the other machine and vice versa... then sharing and permissions can be set and chosen drives/folders and files can be made visable/acessable (Dont share the root of your system drive with either machine <--- it will screw both OS systems up!)

could be your routers configs as well.... I hate networking #Chuckles#

Last edited:
Because they are routers, they use NAT. It's like having two separate universes. Nothing on router 1 can contact anything on router 2, they are completely isolated from each other.

Only way to make it work would be to run a cable from router 1 to one of the ports on router 2 OTHER than the unlink port (the one all alone).

Get a switch instead, and run the switch off of one router.

I have the same problem as the author. Router 1, provided by my ISP, Speedtouch model something by Thompson and Router 2 Linksys WRT-54GL with dd-wrt firmware.

Chris' post is MOSTLY right, do NOT cross connect between two routers if they are both providing DHCP addresses. You WILL have conflicts.

Look at the settings of ONE router and see if you can disable the router portion and just use it as a switch, otherwise get a small switch and do that instead.

The problem you are having is that the network on router 1 is NOT able to talk IN to network 2 without some changes(and reverse), you are isolating the machines on Network 1 from 2 and reverse by using routers in place of switches.

haha, yea this is frustrating

Route 2 is connected to router1 through the lan ports. I've disabled dhcp on router2 per DLink's own instructions on how to turn it into a switch.

It randomly started working last night, with my 2 XP pc's and 1 vista laptop working flawlessly. Too bad this morning after turning them off it stopped working again....

edit: I've reset both routers to factory settings, and have since only turned off the dhcp server on router2 and changed its IP to be in the same range as router1's.

Since using just one router is not an option, will getting a real switch to replace router2 make my problems go away?

Last edited:
Ok, I just bought and installed a netgear fs105 switch and everything is working flawlessly. Still have no idea why the DLink was giving me trouble.

Thanks anyways!

Back