• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Guide to wiping an SSD [Reset to factory defaults]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just an FYI..

I was selling a Crucial M4 SSD a couple of weeks back and wanted to wipe the drive before it changed hands.....

This was before i seen this:
It's also recommended not to use Internal SE ( Parted Magic option ) on Crucial SSD

For the record i had no problems wiping the drive with Parted Magic. (V.2012-10-10) Maybe the earlier versions had a bug. :shrug:

I think the problem with PartedMagic and Crucial M4 only applies when Asus Crosshair motherboard is the third leg of the triangle. Had it happen to my M4 in my Crosshair V Formula Thunderbolt. Wanted to SE the unit for Win7 reinstall. FAIL.

This was almost 2 years ago.

I was mentally paralyzed for at least an hour. Like I'd been chomped in the face by a headcrab.

Tossed back a glass of dark beer and chased it with a gulp of whiskey. Took a deep breath, and rubbed two brain cells together.

Took the M4 and the PartedMagic CD to my olda** HP DX5150SFF microdesktop PC, put the M4 in my SATA hotswap bay, booted with the CD, redid the whole process, put the M4 back in the Crosshair, reinstalled Win7 with no problems. The DX5150 does not support AHCI, so I never bothered changing any settings in BIOS.

On another tip: avoid ENHANCED secure erase. Always choose the plain internal secure erase. Some SSD internal controllers handle it (rumor), but every time I've tried ENHANCED secure erase option, the SSDs have always been irreversibly bricked. Even the manufacturers were unable to reverse whatever went wrong. I've ZORCHED 2 Imations, 1Crucial M4, 1 Samsung 470, 1 Samsung 830, 1 Kingston v100, 1 Kingston SVP something or other, 1 Patriot Pyro, and one other SSD that I can't remember the make or model. I did those in the DX5150, not wanting to do them in the Crosshair after the M4 debacle.

Let the damage to my wallet serve as prevention for you not flipping your wig as I have done.

Last edited:
Samsung SSD Wipe

Hi,

For all those with a Samsung SSD wishing to format, browse to the Samsung SSD site and download the Samsung Magician.

Berne:)

Back