• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Long Range Wifi

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Matty007

I am currently paying my Grandfather who lives a few houses up to use his broadband wirelessly, the distance between the router and me is 25-30 metres.

He is currently on a 20mpbs plan of which he receives the full 20mpbs, I am currently using the awus036nh from Alfa as my network card and I receive an average speed of 9 - 11mpbs. Over such a short distance it is puzzling to me as to why I'm not receiving full speed with such a high powered antenna. I have the Alfa situated outside and it is in clear line of site to the router so obstructions aren't the issue. I also have the router configured to the optimum channel with minimal interference.

The router which is a Netgear Rangemax WNR834Bv2 is also set to wireless N so I'm not expecting miracles from wireless G.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest to me a way of achieving full speed by means of a higher gain antenna such as a Yagi to attach to the Alfa network card.

I understand WIFi is flaky so to speak but over such a small distance full speed should easily be obtainable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Do you have line of sight between the houses? If you do, purchase a couple Ubiquiti Nanostations and setup a PTP wireless link. You'll have a much stabler connection, better speeds, and you can do it for ~ $200.

I did a set up not too long ago, where the AP was about 100-120 meters from the computer accessing the AP. We used an Ebay Yagi - about $30 mounted to a wooden dowel rod. We also used an Alfa network card, but found that while it transmitted ok, the receiving circuit on it was unable to reliably eliminate any interference from other APs in the area. We ended up using a Dlink PCI wireless card with the external antenna connection. Nothing was done on the AP end, as it did not have the connection for an external antenna.

I'd recommend using another wireless card/dongle with a higher gain omni-directional antenna.

Im currently setting up a dual yagi network with 2 wrt54g flashed with ddwrt. I am trying to beam about 200m (probably less) through a few trees. I need to do some work on the router on my end, it was a later model and I have to solder the antenna jack onto the board.

Back