• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI GS70 2OD-002US Fan Noise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Norcalsteve

I got the new thin MSI gaming laptop just recently (LOVE IT!) but I was wondering if anyone else has one out there that can confirm the fans/noise for me.

From what I gather, there are supposed to be two fans in this beast. Pretty often the computer kicks the fans into high gear for a few, then comes back down (doing normal stuff). While gaming the fans are in high gear (normal im sure)... The noise does not bother me one bit either...

But, this is my main concern; if there is two fans, what is there approximate location on the lap top? When I hear the "fans" burst to high (often, and always while gaming) it only sounds like it is coming from the right side of the lap top, and I can feel the air moving... and the left side has no noise, and I dont feel much air movement.

Does anyone else have this "issue" or is it normal (i.e. is there one GPU fan, and one CPU fan, and since CPU temps are good, the fan is quiet/no noise)

Please, let me know If i need to explain more.

Last edited:
I don't know much about laptops, because I prefer gaming desktops, but I would download a temperature monitor program like HWmonitor and check your temps on full load! If your fans are running like there supposed to, you should get normal load temps. If you don't know the normal load temps for your laptop, then go online and look it up. I hope this helps! :cool:

Temps are good so far... I was more concerned about not hearing the second fan, or if i was hearing it right. HWMonitor does not see any of my fans and RPMs of them, only the temps. I think my laptop chipset is too new for some of the monitoring programs to work on it. I'll look into others and keep testing

(Side note: Should I move this to the laptop forum?)

Naa your okay here it is a cooling issue. Laptops are different when it cea to reporting so yea besides temps it might not read.

If your temps on the CPU and gpu are fine no worries.

after further trouble shooting... my temps are shooting high... AND there is in fact 2 fans, one in each upper corner... the left fan is not doing crap; hence the right fan is working its butt off. This rig is too new to have anything online yet for a "how to" and what settings you can mess with. Looks like I get to deal with the supposed "cruddy" MSI customer service, YAY! First issue with any piece of hardware, even when I was building rigs and folding. My time has come :(

Hard to say. Since there are 5000 diff laptops and all are diff, maybe you need to make a new post in the laptop section, but it ain't gonna help much.

What are your temps on the laptop? Post a screeny of your HW monitor temps under gaming loads. Laptops can take high temps.

Never understood gaming on a laptop myself.

Got more pinpointed results/help from MSI notebook forum... I am infact throttling, and my idle temps are high... 48-67C normal ops and idle... just about 82-95C gaming... Some one on heatsink/thermal paste part of the assembly line had a brain fart or was sleeping...

ughhh! Still doesn't change my opinion of this laptop... it does rock! These things just happen, and I caught the crap end...

Thanks guys!

Yes, but one problem I have with the warranty, before I knew about this issue, I popped the bottom open to swap the 1TB HD with an SSD, since I dont need that much room... therefore the little sticker that covers one of the 25 screws is "tampered" with... I may have screwed myself. I'll probably have to wait until there is tear down guides and do it myself, or wait until my kid breaks it accidently and I get to swap it...

I would just let them know "Hey, I swapped the HDD, can you still do the warranty?"

If they say no, its better than sending it in and then having them say no.

They said bunk off... So I said... HA, I got accidental! none the less...

I braved it... went the course... and took her down to the CPU!

I was right, some dude fell asleep on the assembly line... AND, he missed 2, TWO, DOSE, ZWEI... heat sink screws!!!! It was literally only 1/4th covered with Thermal paste... and all shiny clean on the rest... But, mistakes happen

Now that I am fired back up, I have yet to hear the fan, and my idle temps are ~33C and when I have BOps2 playin, only touches ~55C occasionally.

Very happy!

Never understood gaming on a laptop myself.
They make a lot of sense on the go where carrying a desktop around just isn't practical. But I think gaming laptops would slowly turn into convertible gaming tablets. A touchscreen and accelerometer make a lot more sense than a keyboard for most games.

I hear you, but I am not one for gaming (in the hardcore sense) on a tablet... Laptop is my limit, due to my frequent "trips" I have to take, that my desktop cant go... But also I guess I will be one of those "old school gamers" (KEYBOARD MOUSE!!!) when compared to the kids of today that will only know gaming on a tablet device thanks to cloud computing...

really though, I hope the desktop never dies... It just baffles me that people are stuck on this "cloud" stuff for daily personal use (enterprise aside)... sorry, but I want CONTROL of my rig, and the satisfaction of building it myself... not a "window" to a high speed supercomputer that has all my info on it an the power to run my games over a high speed internet connection... call me paranoid tho... HAHA!! :chair:

I was right, some dude fell asleep on the assembly line... AND, he missed 2, TWO, DOSE, ZWEI... heat sink screws!!!! It was literally only 1/4th covered with Thermal paste... and all shiny clean on the rest... But, mistakes happen

Now that I am fired back up, I have yet to hear the fan, and my idle temps are ~33C and when I have BOps2 playin, only touches ~55C occasionally.

Very happy!

Great fix! Congrats.

I would call them back since they said you can go kick rocks and say "Hey, you guys didn't put screws in my heatsink. Thanks."

I hear you, but I am not one for gaming (in the hardcore sense) on a tablet... Laptop is my limit, due to my frequent "trips" I have to take, that my desktop cant go... But also I guess I will be one of those "old school gamers" (KEYBOARD MOUSE!!!) when compared to the kids of today that will only know gaming on a tablet device thanks to cloud computing...

really though, I hope the desktop never dies... It just baffles me that people are stuck on this "cloud" stuff for daily personal use (enterprise aside)... sorry, but I want CONTROL of my rig, and the satisfaction of building it myself... not a "window" to a high speed supercomputer that has all my info on it an the power to run my games over a high speed internet connection... call me paranoid tho... HAHA!! :chair:
Hence the convertible part. Think of a cross between a Lenovo Yoga and a Razer Edge. There's no substitute for a keyboard for doing office work. (Or playing games that are designed to be played with the keyboard.) As for a mouse, that's what those USB ports are for... (Or Bluetooth, if you don't mind another battery to keep charged!)

Data caps are going to kill many cloud computing applications. (At least that's one of the very few positives about data caps...) Not to mention the latency and bandwidth requirements even if all connections are unlimited. At work, the servers I work on have a really nifty network console (think of it as hardware accelerated VNC), but they pretty much need Gigabit to work well. Try to use it over WiFi and it it becomes really laggy.

The desktop will never die. If nothing else, you could just get a server and convert it into a desktop.

Very happy!

Hey so I have the same problem with the fan on the right doing majority of the work. I am a bit afraid though of opening the laptop and replacing the thermal paste as I've never had to deal with this stuff before, but it does seem to be odd that the laptop has semi-high temps and that the fans work at all during normal usage.
My laptop is still under warranty, but I did read that pretty much everyone has the same issue.

So is it safe to do it? Should I call them first? What kind of paste did you use?

And are you serious about it now being at idle of 33C and high of 55C? Mine was able to reach like 93C, which I think is pretty nuts.

The image below is just showing what I currently have while typing this. Also the power button for some reason now is showing that it is using the GPU.

Attachments

• HWMonitor.png
    HWMonitor.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 5,855
Always call them first. To save your investment send it it. Get an RMA.

Take no chances. Get an external HD, back up your full HD and send it in. Back it up by directory, an image AND just the full HD.

If you read, he opened the back JUST to replace the HD with an SSD and they denied RMA. You don't have the skills he does. Do not try it.

93C is silly hot.

Back