• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

arghh..stupid page file

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NYC37

Registered
im running in 4-bit color mode at 800X600 display right now, so bear with me. I had to reinstall xp home edition, and whenever the bugger starts up it say's "Page file needed or too small" I ahve tried settign it up manually thriugh the advanced tab and all that, but the setting never sticks. Its set at 0mb right now, and i cant get it to set to any other size. I think my display mode has somethign to do with this...

Thanks in advance

ok I think (my informed guess)youve botched your page file during your reinstal, and xp is setting up a temp pagefile each time u boot, you need to delete and setup a new pagefile, but u cannot do this while the temp one xp creates to boot exists. you need to do this to get out of this

a )reformat and reinstal or
b) boot into your xp cd RC, which is boot to recovery console option prompt

type "cd C:\winnt32" or wherever your xp page file is, check and note

then in this new directory you wil not see your pagefile. sys but it is there, so to make it visible to th RC you need to overwrite it with the contents of another file. this is important so u can then delete so just rename and copy a .txt file over it like:

copy help.txt pagefile.sys

now you want to delete your now visible pagefile. sys

delete pagefile.sys

then type Exit and the system will reboot, when xp reboots it will recognize that pagefile.sys is missing and create a new, good one

so to rehash---from the RC type

cd C:\winnt32
copy help.txt pagefile.sys
delete pagefile.sys
Exit

ok, thx ill try it. ig to the display working properly, but its the page file that needs the workin' on. ill try it when i can.

Back