• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AGH Why me? Haveing Dual Boot problems again.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Angry

Okay, I ended up reformating AGAIN! because the VIA 4in1's took my pc for a wild ride and Quick Time did as well, So I installed WinMe and had it up and running againa nd got settled back in, Well this morning i installed Win2k again...Well reinstalled over teh current as install as the boot fix thing didnt work it messed everything up couldnt get into WinMe...Said NBLR or something was missing so I installed Win2k over itself like i said Well I thought it would detect WinME but it didnt so how doI get this fixed? Cause It boots into Win2k only no option for WinMe...

And Yes Im NEVER going to install the Via 4in1's or QuickTime again...(mutters to self...Darn stupid peices of CRAP! (however the older 4in1's work fine)

i would think u could get a good dual boot going like this. look at the size of your disk and determine what size u want for me and what for 2k, boot with your me boot disk and delete all partitions and then format only a partition that is the size u want for your me install, then install me, then after u check and u see u have a good instal, boot into your 2kcd, go for the setup and it will show u your partition info, u should see one fat formated partition and one listing of unformated space. pick the unformated space for your 2k instal and pick fat or ntfs, you can read fat to fat and ntfs to fat but not fat to ntfs, instal 2k and reboot u should get your instal. best not to use the 4in 1 with 2k, just enable your dma in the device driver after, as 2k will instal with default pio for your devices. if u want to instal software like quicktime or any others that will have its way with your registry/system settings use w2k and make sure you have an erd(emegency repair disk)--- just type ntbackup at the run window, follow the prompts and do chose the backup regestry option, you can pretty much fix alot with this. revert all settings back to the previous state

Should have said this before(my fault), I have ME and Win2k on their own partitions...The problem was that the 4in1's from VIA messed up 2000 and Quick Time messed up Me, I reformated Me's partition and Reinstalled, Got it up and going again, The thing is I had to Install Windows 95 first which killed out the dualboot thing that Win2k had setup upon start up, SO I went ahead upgraded from 95 to Me and got settled back in and everything, I then proceded to use teh boot Fix procedur that was givin to me awhile back from someone here (thankyou whoever it was) but something went wrong and upon start up I would get the message "Missing NBLR hit anykey to restart you computer" I would hit any key but it would just repeat the message..sooo..I loaded Setup for Win2k again from the 4 floppy disks again and just reinstalled Win2k thinking it would fix Win2k and the dual boot problem But this didnt instead Win2k didnt even Detect WinMe..

Now How do I fix Win2k so it detects Me and I can Dual boot again?

But thanks for the Registry Backup disc thing

well your problem is ME. I would install ME last as it came out last. install 2000 then ME. better yet ebay both of them and get xp pro!

The problem is that Win2k did not detect Me during its install and Xp, not for me yet...2000 is still king for me,But Me is is good for old DOS games like Redneck Rampage lol..

Well one of My games actualy 1, 4x4 Evolution runs VERY VERY slow in 2000 for some reason, Also WinMe gives me higher 3dmark 2000 (literaly doubles it) while 2000 gives me higher me higher 3dmark2001 scores and runs my Tribes 2 server on 56k for 3 peeps, 7 bots and customs maps, Mechina mod, with no lag period. when I try that with WinMe its lag city....Plus WinMe works with my Webcam, there are no Win2k drivers for my webcam because creative.com refuses to fix the broken d/l link on thier site after repeated emails. I also like Me because I have done a few registry mods (from a mag) that speed up cdrom and menu speeds...Tweak Ui also helps with this...

Either way I have Win2k on D: parition and WinMe on C: partition.

Idea!

hey, i had the same problem as you did, except i used win 98 instead of me. I made 4 partitions- one for win2k, one for win98, one for programs, and other junk,and one for "shared access" betwen the two os's. The first and the 3rd partitions were ntfs, and the 2nd and 4th were fat32. (all formating was done in win2k). I installed win2k first, formatting the first partition with ntfs. Then i put win98 on the second partition ( which is formatted using fat32). Now, you can do one of two things- install linux, or something else ;-)

- Linux : After that i put linux on, and used it's boot manager. Its a great way to get to know linux. :D If u have a cable modem u can download linux for free. I don't have the link right now but if your interested ill find it and give it to you.

- Something else: Now install win2k back on, and it's boot loader will recognize win98 and win2k- it worked for my so in theory it should work for you :)

Man now I know why Im making a D in Eglish and B's in everything else at school...I have Win2k Installed AS well As ME, But Win2k did nt detect Me when I instaled it...So I have just gotin doen reinstaling ME over itslef..well Now only Me boots up (UGH!) But I think if i reinstall Win2k again it will fix the problem and I will get that boot menu back...I thing that since that NBLR was missing after my attempt to fix the dual boot...So I was in Win2k when I started this post now im in WinMe...sooo...

Angry said:
Man now I know why Im making a D in Eglish and B's in everything else at school...I have Win2k Installed AS well As ME, But Win2k did nt detect Me when I instaled it...So I have just gotin doen reinstaling ME over itslef..well Now only Me boots up (UGH!) But I think if i reinstall Win2k again it will fix the problem and I will get that boot menu back...I thing that since that NBLR was missing after my attempt to fix the dual boot...So I was in Win2k when I started this post now im in WinMe...sooo...

i still don't understand what is going on here?

can you say it again.............slowly?

install ME first..............then w2k...........everything will be fine.........got problem with that? what is it?

Ok letz start over...

I have WinMe on C: partition, and Win2k on D: partition.

First off, the VIA 4in1s messed up Win2k So I was using WinMe for awhile, didnt have that much time to load Win2k setup from floopys, So while going to watch a DVD, the DVD installed Quicktime and well QuickTime just completely messed up WinMe, I ended up reformating WinMes partition and installing all over again, BUT, I had to install Windows 95 first and then upgrade to Me, So when I installed 95 it completely over wrote the dual boot thing that Win2k had made, So...I got settled back In Windows Me and got all my games back on, Well I then proceded to fix teh dual boot, There was a procedure that Jon I belive gave me to fix the dual boot, But I belive this was actualy for booting only Win2k, Because after i went through the procesure I restarted my machine only to get the message "MIssing NBLR Hit any key to restart your computer." So I thought I was screwed, But then loaded Win2k Setup from the 4 floopy disks, I then Reinstalled Win2k on its partition (D:\) and everything went smoothly, onbly thing is it didnt detect WinMe, SO I got no dual boot option...ugh...
So later desporate I reinstalled ME on its partition even though it was alrdy there but 2000 didnt detect it, So now Im in WinMe..The problem is I need to get teh Dual boot menu back up...andI thought about installing Win2k over itself (again) but thinking all be back to where I was...

Angry said:
Ok letz start over...

I have WinMe on C: partition, and Win2k on D: partition.

First off, the VIA 4in1s messed up Win2k So I was using WinMe for awhile, didnt have that much time to load Win2k setup from floopys, So while going to watch a DVD, the DVD installed Quicktime and well QuickTime just completely messed up WinMe, I ended up reformating WinMes partition and installing all over again, BUT, I had to install Windows 95 first and then upgrade to Me, So when I installed 95 it completely over wrote the dual boot thing that Win2k had made, So...I got settled back In Windows Me and got all my games back on, Well I then proceded to fix teh dual boot, There was a procedure that Jon I belive gave me to fix the dual boot, But I belive this was actualy for booting only Win2k, Because after i went through the procesure I restarted my machine only to get the message "MIssing NBLR Hit any key to restart your computer." So I thought I was screwed, But then loaded Win2k Setup from the 4 floopy disks, I then Reinstalled Win2k on its partition (D:\) and everything went smoothly, onbly thing is it didnt detect WinMe, SO I got no dual boot option...ugh...
So later desporate I reinstalled ME on its partition even though it was alrdy there but 2000 didnt detect it, So now Im in WinMe..The problem is I need to get teh Dual boot menu back up...andI thought about installing Win2k over itself (again) but thinking all be back to where I was...

much better. Here is the solution for your problem ok?

1-"missing nblr hit any key to restart your computer" error message. When you receive this error message, go to Recovery Console if you have one.

If you don't have recovery console installed in your computer, type the following command when you have w2k cd inside your cd drom

cd-rom drive:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons and hit enter. there you go

copy nblr from cd-rom drive:\i386 to c:\

and restart the computer. YOur problem is solved

2-Dual boot menu. So you don't see Me menu there. You have 2 options

1- pop w2k cd in and install again but this time you choose "repair the setup or installation". After it's done, you have me and w2k in your dual boot

2-If you install w2k in the same hard drive but different partition...........

look the file boot.ini in your computer W2k (uncheck hide protected file from option)

open it up

add the line for Me (name of winMe, and the location of your Me in your hard drive).

BINGO.........you are done

WOOHOO!

Did a repair install and now the menu is back...

THANKYOU!

Now to clean up that 2 gig folder called "Backup"....oh joy ...:rolleyes:

Back