• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Booting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

youthemandan

Ok so i tried to install win xp and it got an error in the middle of it.So i just gave up on it. Now win xp doesn't exist on that other drive anymore. How do i get it so the dual boot screen in dos when win 98 is loading to go away and just load win 98???

youthemandan said:
Ok so i tried to install win xp and it got an error in the middle of it.So i just gave up on it. Now win xp doesn't exist on that other drive anymore. How do i get it so the dual boot screen in dos when win 98 is loading to go away and just load win 98???
I Think what you are asking is how to make your computer boot win 98 again at start up....well in order to do this use your 98 disk and type fdisk and in there is an option to make patition active ..this is what you nead to do..If you have partiotion magic you can do it from there also....

I just read your post again..Did you meen that you are still geting the duel boot screan in win XP at startup??If so then just delete the partition that win xp is on by booting with your 98 disk and running fdisk....

Yea i am still getting the win xo windows 98 choice on start up. How do i get rid of the xp choice. Right now unless u hi the down key fast it trys to boot into xp.

Like I said you have to make the win 98 partition active and if the XP os is not working then just delete the partition that it is on ...

Boot off of a Win98 floppy

At the command prompt, type:

fdisk/mbr

this will erase your master boot record

When you boot up again, Windows will re-write a new mbr for you, and you won't have to deal w/ the dual boot screen anymore. I've had to do this myself a couple of times, actually.

Cheers! :beer:

Can't seem to find the win 98 floppy. IS there some other way to get rid of this damn screen??? Can i edit the boot.ini file and where is it?

i created a boot disk. It didn't work. Under the a: prompt i typed fdisk/mbr but i still got the screen. What can i do??

Boot with the floppy type fdisk then follow the instructions till you get to delete partition and delete the partition that XP is on..

thats the way! also if you have just installed it on another partition/hdd you can just format that drive and the option goes away,ive done it so so so much,"im the midnight formatter!!!":D

Back