• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Intel i7 3770K - Ivy Bridge - CPU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hokiealumnus I was wondering when you overclocked IB did it use more power than the SB clock for clock? Did you measure the power with a Kill-A-Watt?

Just wondering if there is more current draw overclocking with the tri-gate transistors.

Last edited:
I might sound dumb, but none of my graphic cards have IHS: the HSF is in direct contact with the die.

Excellent review, but I think it will be quite a while till SB needs a TRUE upgrade...

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the IGP take load away from my GPU or is it redundant unless i am running a system with no GPU?

The IGP is not going to boost your stand alone GPU in anyway.

[Edit] actually there might be some third party software that will hock your IGP to your GPU, i just cant remember what it was.

Whilst it doesn't seem to be much of a step up from SB, I will probably buy one in the summer. I could do with a lower amount of heat in my room! Plus with the high temperature when overclocking will mean my water cooling has work to do...

Whilst it doesn't seem to be much of a step up from SB, I will probably buy one in the summer. I could do with a lower amount of heat in my room! Plus with the high temperature when overclocking will mean my water cooling has work to do...

Eh? how will this chip cool your room down XD. If anything your rads are going to giving off alot more heat!

Eh? how will this chip cool your room down XD. If anything your rads are going to giving off alot more heat!
200W is 200W. Doesnt matter if it comes from a heatsink or a radiator. (Or in this case 77W vs 95W)

Does the IGP take load away from my GPU or is it redundant unless i am running a system with no GPU?
Yes. Yes it will. Lucid Logix MVP. :thup:

Last edited:
@ Hokie
Thanks for confirming 3960X speeds. I was just curious because I recently purchased an 3930K and am glad to see it (X79) doing well. Once overclocked it should maintain a healthy lead :D

You can run programs that use QuickSync -mostly video editing/manipulating/converting- on the iGPU. Those programs can run their specific tasks MUCH faster using QuickSync. The problem is,
The IGP is not going to boost your stand alone GPU in anyway.

[Edit] actually there might be some third party software that will hock your IGP to your GPU, i just cant remember what it was.
What he said:
Yes. Yes it will. Lucid Logix MVP. :thup:
(Thanks ED)
@ Hokie
Thanks for confirming 3960X speeds. I was just curious because I recently purchased an 3930K and am glad to see it (X79) doing well. Once overclocked it should maintain a healthy lead :D
NP, you're fine with SNB-E; especially with multi-threaded tasks. Put it this way, if the choice were between keeping a 3930K I already had and replacing it with a 3770K, I'd keep the 3930K.

incorrect.. It is only hotter at the core where the temps are taken. The heatsink only has to deal with 77watts vs the 95 of SB for example. The heatsink should still be quite cool to the touch on most occasions with IB.

Hokie, I just want to say this is one of the most well done reviews I have read in a LONG TIME! Excellent and excellent work brother. I am very proud of my OCF bretheren. :thup:

incorrect.. It is only hotter at the core where the temps are taken. The heatsink only has to deal with 77watts vs the 95 of SB for example. The heatsink should still be quite cool to the touch on most occasions with IB.
Thats incorrect IB at 4.8GHz oc is 277 watts load and stock it's 134W load. My SB at 4.8GHz is 233 watts.

Last edited:
Why thank you dominick, coming from you that means a ton!

(Not to take away from all the other wonderful people's kind words. Dom is just special. :thup:)

Back