• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case painting (how to guide).

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i tried a test on a removable HD cage from a Cheiftek case - i did my firts layer of white spray paint, let it dry for a day, when i put the 2nd spary on it all likel wrinkiled up on me :(

Any thoughts?

i am reading this guide again

Ignore that forbidden to view that site:(

I seem to be having problems. :( The coat has like streaks in it. The orange peal effect in these streaks is horrible! Then when I sand(even with 1200 grit) it gets little lines in it. I have put on 4 coats of black over the primer already and I have no idea what I am doing wrong. :confused: I am one very frustrated spray painter. I shake the can for 10 minutes prior and it makes no difference! I am spending more on paint then I did on the case!!! :( Maybe I will get a picture so one of you all can tell me what I am doing wrong. The guide goes from the final coat right into the clear coat and doesnt explain more on the smooth finish of the final!

JT

JTanczos said:
I seem to be having problems. :( The coat has like streaks in it. The orange peal effect in these streaks is horrible! Then when I sand(even with 1200 grit) it gets little lines in it. I have put on 4 coats of black over the primer already and I have no idea what I am doing wrong. :confused: I am one very frustrated spray painter. I shake the can for 10 minutes prior and it makes no difference! I am spending more on paint then I did on the case!!! :( Maybe I will get a picture so one of you all can tell me what I am doing wrong. The guide goes from the final coat right into the clear coat and doesnt explain more on the smooth finish of the final!

JT

you don't really need to sand the final coat of color, just the final clear coat. Unless you have an uneven coat of color paint. It sounds like you're putting it on too thick. If i have an unever coat of color paint, i'll wet sand it with 800 or 600 grit until it's flat. After that, you can put the clear coat on. In my experience, all the polishing only needs to be done after the final coat of clear. I also sanded after primer, but that's only because i did a horrible job w/ priming and got drips and uneven spots.

I find that the best way to keep the cans warm (unless its really warm out) is to have a bucket full of warm/hot water that you float the cans in for a few minutes while your prepping the surfaces. also remember to do lots of light coats of paint, not 1-2 heavy ones (gives you the runs!!! and no one wants the runs!)

Back