• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for new PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
So in the market for a new PSU for a build.
Now what I'm looking for is modular PSU, and high quality.
Below I got my SilverStone PSU... oh a long time ago now (thinking 6-7 years). Its a 750W beast that still powers my system today and does very well.

Though I've been out of the game for a while, and just starting to look into it again, looking for a good named PSU, that is modular that I could expect to last for years to come. Wattage range 600-750W is my guess. There won't be any dual GPU's in the rig, and I'm guessing right now it will be similar wattage to mine which would land it in the 400-450W range full tilt at load from the wall. Little overhead doesn't hurt, especially as years go on and capacitors degrade over time.

So with that looking for your opinions on the best PSU you can get in roughly that wattage range.

RM550 if buying before 3/6.

If not, the RM450 would be within your range.
They're 80+ Gold, full modular.

Budget wise: I'm flexiable, though ideally staying under $170, think thats what I paid for my current one in my main rig which has done well.

Rather have an upfront cost last a long time vs going low/middle low and having to get a new one a few years later. Have a few people that have gone that route, and getting a new PSU every year is not what I consider a wise investment ;)

Last edited:
Budget wise: I'm flexiable, though ideally staying under $170, think thats what I paid for my current one in my main rig which has done well.

Rather have an upfront cost last a long time vs going low/middle low and having to get a new one a few years later. Have a few people that have gone that route, and getting a new PSU every year is not what I consider a wise investment ;)

With that budget there won't be any "shortcuts." The Seasonic X-series is about as good as it gets or their equivelent OEM models. The ones on that list are the "best of the best."
The one ATMINSIDE listed is fine too, a little smaller than you listed.

With that budget there won't be any "shortcuts." The Seasonic X-series is about as good as it gets or their equivelent OEM models. The ones on that list are the "best of the best."
The one ATMINSIDE listed is fine too, a little smaller than you listed.

Oh boy... looks like I got a few choices :)

Thanks for the break down both of you. While the Corsair was smaller than listed it would more than meet my needs of what I'm aiming for but... that being said those Seasonic X-Series, its probably more in line with what I've been using these many years in my main rig.

Its one of the things I will have to consider. Pricing can add up, but you can't put a price on quality. But wow those 650-660W Seasonic's have been out for a while and no price drop since release, been out of it for a while so forgive me ;)

Back