• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Official: What Have I Killed Benching Thread!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ive killed:

Boards:

Soyo P3 board, not sure wich model
Abit NF7-S
Abit AN8-SLI <--- Twice!
Asus A8N-SLI
P5K-Deluxe WiFi (New one is still good!)

GPU:

Asus GeForce 3 something.. 64mb
Zotac GTX285 <--- My fault!
XFX GTX295 <--- Not sure what happend there.. No blue light makes me unhappy.

Ram:

2gb Ballistix 667 D9GMH
2gb OCZ Gold PC9200 D9GMH
2gb OCZ Gold 667 ppc
2gb OCZ special ops ppc
6gb GSkill D9GTC, D9GMH
4gb Corsair Dominator pc8500

I have only killed a set of Crucial Ballisix Tracers (the good, double sided ones).

I was trying to get past 1250Mhz and gave it a mere 2.25v with a 120mm fan on them and WHAMO. Killed one. Not a great story, and there are many like it.....even at stock voltage. Was that really my fault? ;)

How did you manage to break a ASUS A8N SLI?? That series of motherboards was built like a rock. My Deluxe is still working hard with my Opty

How did you manage to break a ASUS A8N SLI?? That series of motherboards was built like a rock. My Deluxe is still working hard with my Opty

I think it was the brand new 4200 that i bought that did it.. At that time thats when AMD partnered up with Chartered, and they were putting out cores that did barely more then stock speed, whereas the amd core would do say 4-600mhz more.. That cpu took out my Abit as well. I loved that Asus too, It rocked my old 3700, and 4400 to FX speeds without too much trouble. It was the cheap cpu, Im almost positive! I still have all of those boards too..

That was a bad weekend.. Cost me 2 boards, a set of ram, and then the intel cpu, mobo, and ddr2 that I bought to replace it all!!

And to this day I am still kind of bitter about it.. I begrudgeingly put an AMD gpu in my system. So far its been very decent, for what it cost me. Drivers and CCC still need some polishing tho..

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=6233015&postcount=67

CAS6 might have something to do with it on the 4950 run, but just all kinds of wrong tweaks (or lack thereof) on top of that, wrong BIOS, default install of XP SP2, etc. I switched to a stripped XP SP3 installed, did the right tweaks and all was golden. I even ran it @ 220x20 (880 6-7-6) after I posted that screen to make sure it wasn't a BCLK issue. It was like .03s slower on 1024. It could be CAS6 is just an issued at higher CPU speeds. The next time it's cold, I will try it with the exact same settings (ie. 225/900 CAS6) with the right tweaks and see what happens.

I did notice on at least a couple of >5GHz SPi's that CAS8 seemed faster than CAS7, so it's definitely a possibility it dislikes CAS6 @ 4950 (especially with HT on). The higher the CPU clocks went, the more tight mem became a problem for stable CPU. I had to drop from CAS 7->8->9 to get benchable from 5000->5150. No amount of Vc would fix it. I'm betting Vtt would, but we need to find a workaround for the OVP :D

See......

The way I read that, it says...
"Dean you big girl, I bet you don't have the guts to do the mod, and see if it works!!!!"

lol so it was a failed mod or the mod itself? How high did you go or did you even get to the desktop?

Whats with this "failed mod" stuff
Nothing wrong with the mod, it's the idea that was wrong.

Soooo.....That puts it all on Ross

:D:beer::D:beer::D:beer::D

I was kind of told that it may not work, as it (max vtt) is a chip issue, not the board. But hey, got to try these things.

You can't lower it much, or it won't boot. Shows 27 on the post code reader.

After playing around with that, and trying 1.58 - 1.62 vtt, the whole board had a cow and wouldn't boot.
An hour of two of trying, it started again, it worked, but things were not good.
After leaving it for the night, and trying to start it the next day, no go.

It now hanges on 68 for sometime, then changes to C1
Odd as C1 is mem, but I have tested the cpu and mem in another board, and they work fine. Also tried lots of other sticks of ram, but with no luck.

I've talked to Gigabyte, but they have no idea how to fix it.

Odd as C1 is mem, but I have tested the cpu and mem in another board, and they work fine. Also tried lots of other sticks of ram, but with no luck.

VTT death, that explains C1 due to fried memory controller. Oh well it's good info, too bad someone else didn't find out first :beer:

Deanzo gets first dibs if interested, but would any of you be interested in summarizing this thread and making an article out of it for the frontpage?

Back