• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED To OC or not to OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

03E55AMG

Newb here, but I have browsed the forums before. Finally got myself a premium account to access the vast wealth of knowledge here.

I recently picked up a new Asus G75VW (see configuration below), due to the rave reviews from it. I ran a 3DMark Vantage test on extreme, but my scores seem low... Is there anything you guys see here that could be a/the problem? Is it time to OC?
http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/4694977
Laptop config:
-17.3 inch (1920X1080) anti-glare screen
-Nvidia GeForce 670M graphics card with 3GB of memory
-Intel core I7 3630QM processor
-16GB of RAM
-6X Blu-Ray Reader/Writer
-750GB HDD
-256GB SSD HDD
-Windows 8

Last edited:
Scores seem fine to me? Its a laptop, has a mobile gpu in it and vantage repsonds to more cores and speed. You are stock.

That said, its a laptop and most don't have the thermal headroom to overclock, much less the options to do it. Does yours?

I am not positive on whether it can or can't OC, although I will check to see if I have a locked BIOS next time I power off my pc. As far as cooling, even during the 3DMark testing, it wasn't putting out much heat. Also, on the rear of my computer, the 2 fighter jet looking vents are separate, one vent is only for GPU cooling and the other is CPU cooling. So I believe the cooling is more than sufficient for a small OC.

Perhaps... What are the temps with a real load like prime95 though (give it at least 15-20 minutes)? That is what you will use to check for stability and is usually 10c higher than gaming. Keep that CPU at 90c or less for stress testing and all else will be well.

Use realtrmp to monitor temps.

Did the stress test for 20 minutes on prime95 with custom settings (Min FFT to 10K and max fft left at 4096, and memory to use at 2000 MB), because with stock settings, it only put the CPU at 50% load. CPU maxed out at 87*C. CPU went from 2.4 GHz up to 3.2GHz about 10 seconds into the test, and stayed there the whole time.

I hear you can OC the GPU better than the CPU. So i'd try testing with the GPU. and putting some load on it. I've heard of people getting good oc's. Also it has 2GB of GPU VRAM not 3. it was mis-descripted.

Sorry to thread necro, but wanted to add some real life experience with this particular laptop. I have one of these as my primary gaming rig at the moment, with pretty much the same spec, due to not having room for a big desk/rig. 2 years of standard clocks and regular use it burned out the GPU. Being a service technician for computer hardware by trade, I cleaned the filters regularly, even more frequently than suggested by the ASUS software.

ASUS wasted no time replacing the GFX-card under warranty though, so I was back online after a few days.

If you are using this laptop on a daily basis, you should invest in a cooling plate/stand for it. Especially if you intend to overclock it. I've not seen any option to do so in the BIOS, but then I've never considered overclocking a laptop due to cooling limitations.

Again, sorry for the necro. I just stumbled into this thread while looking for others with experience with this laptop and thought I would add mine.

Back