• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2600k/MVE & 3D Benching

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Testing the 2500k with a single card atm. Seems ok...not as fast as the 2600k or 2700k but should be ok for some hwboints.

Did you get the 4 card again or are you going with the 3 once you have a good CPU Chip??

Dude...definitely the 4. Busy weekend so may not get anymore benching in until Sunday night. If the replacement card isn't here by tomorrow, will just run 3 cards for now.

Well on a bench its not a big deal to add or take out Cards, that's the beauty of these Benches i find anyway. I got to 4.9 today and managed to get 4.8 stable enough to bench with, so grab a couple of nice scores.

Will look at it when i have more time Funsoul my friend.

AJ.

Hiya Folks

Also...xp keeps failing to install :( Am trying a couple different version but keep getting the same bsod error using either version (can't recall the number, unfortunately) but the error says something like Unable to initialize installation_part 3 or some such thing. The install only starts using the 1st option...text-based....option 2 (gui) loses the monitor and basically sits and does nothing (that I can tell anyway). Am trying the install at the cpu's stock settings.

Hey funsoul just got Xp installed i used the v11.2.0.1006 achi drivers from this link http://www.win-raid.com/t2f23-Intel-R-RST-RSTe-Drivers-actual-v-WHQL-v-WHQL.html it stop the Bsod x7f for not having the the achi driver and it stoped the session3 installion error when using achi driver from Intel site It didn't install it but i guess it sees it so it doesn't throw out the Stop error but to install Xp you still have to set the drive to ide then when it's finished install the driver then you can go into the bios and set to achi
Just if you didn't know if your going to install it on the same disk that you all ready have win7 and vista installed your going to need easyBCD 2.2 because you wont be able to boot back into win7 and\or vista so when done installing Xp you need to do a repair on win7 with the win7 disk or usb might take a couple of time before it boots back in win7 when it does you will notice you can't boot into Xp now this is where easyBCD comes in just go to the tab add new entry then in the drop down menu in the type: select windows nt/2k/xp/2k3 and will add the bootloader so next time you restart you can choose what OS and you can do the same with vista if win7 repair didn't already fix the vista boot mbr I guess thats why they say to install Xp first so you don't have to go threw that

Thanks QuickFast! I flogged around with it a bit (before reading your post) and slipstreamed a few drivers into the xp image but still got the same errors. Will try your method (and definitely appreciate the guidance!).

An update on my side...2600k#1 is the fastest of my 1155's so got that back up and running yesterday. Just for grins...used a single 580 lightning. Even with the cpu at 5.485GHz and the 580 @ 1050 (beyond that is unstable, haven't played with the voltage at all), my 3d scores are horrendous...in 3dm03, for example, my best score was still about 20K less than what it should be (searching subs with same cpu and similar cpu/gpu speeds). I know it's tough to help me troubleshoot the issue without screenies/scores so will try to take a couple tonight.

Am really starting to wonder if I'll actually be able to pull decent boints with the 2600k (even if I manage an ok overclock on the gpu(s)). Looking through the subs a bit...it looks like I might have a better chance with a 3930k (for the 3d's that make use of all those threads anyway).

What do you folks think? Is it even worth continuing along with the 2600k with (1, 2, 3 or 4) 580's? So far I'm lookin' at 0.1 boints/sub (if that). Think I'd fare better with a 3930k (mine should do around 5.4GHz-ish under ss)? Am also considering perhaps a 3770k, 4770k or 4930k but not sure what, if anything, decent I could do with one of those under ss. For multicard benching, will eventually be able to use the cascade on the cpu (see sad cascade update below) but, for now, ss only. For single-vga benching, am hoping to use cpu under ss and vga under cascade.

What do ya'll think?

As an aside update...finally got the cascade moved but it turns out one of my kids loosened a connector when he was angry at me and all the gas leaked out of the system. *GRRRRRRR* Won't go into the gory details but needless to say I'm totally pissed. Working with sdumper to get me hooked up with a refill...he may be shipping me r1150 as that one's tough to find.

I was thinking about driver version. One of the best performers for me is 314.21 it's an older beta driver but worked well especially in SLI. 03 may even want an older one yet like 296 , I do know it can make a big difference.
Too bad about the cascade, ahhh the joy of parenthood. Glad mine are grown TBH.

I was thinking about driver version. One of the best performers for me is 314.21 it's an older beta driver but worked well especially in SLI. 03 may even want an older one yet like 296 , I do know it can make a big difference.
Too bad about the cascade, ahhh the joy of parenthood. Glad mine are grown TBH.
Thanks Johan45! Will peruse which drivers the better hwbot subs used and try those.

Drivers and the DirectX fix in rivatuner help a lot IIRC
Thanks Janus67. Didn't know there's a dx fix in rivatuner. Also didn't know that I should use RT for overclocking the 580s (thought the 'special' version of AB). Hmmm.

I never used rivatuner for overclocking the 580s, I generally either used AB or nVidia Inspector

err d3doverrider was what I meant. Look in the LBB.

Yep...been using AB and d3d. Will check drivers.

What do you folks think about 3770k, 4770k or 4930k given what I've got to work with?

Will probably spend this week on 3x/4x580 and 2600k. Next weekend, think I'll eraser the mve and give one of the 3930k's a try under ss.

Got me Funster, I'm pretty green to the Intel side of things. I just know the performance did scale upwards with the next 2 gens. The 4770k works good for me but they're a bit harder to get the clocks up.

With the cascade I would imagine you would be fine with a 4770K, 3770K would probably be fine as well, you would have to check what sort of speeds people got on cascades instead of LN2 though for each.

Unfortunately...unless I can find a golden one...none of those cpus does really well on ss or cascade. Checking the subs for pcm5 and wp1024 (frequency's not even worth looking at with my balmy temps)...3770k runs ~ 5.4GHz (ss)/5.6(cascade)...worth ~ 0.1 points at those speeds. 4770k runs ~5.1/5.6 (ss/cascade), 4930k runs ~5.2/5.4.

Question any of these CPU's De-Lidded to gain on the Temps side of things??

AJ.

Morning Folks!

Well...turns out I can't find my tri-sli bridge *groan* Rather than sit and wait...decided to try a 9800gx2. Did reasonably well with pcm06 (screeny below) but scores on some of the other 3d benches stink so bad I had to crack a window. Even folks running their cpu and gpu at lower speeds are beating the poop out of some of my results :(

The card runs really cool (under water). With stock volts @ 780 the temps never got above 45C (which seems very cool for this card). AB is useless for this card but found an old Hardass thread with this link: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...ods!-(1-3-1-6v-or-more)&p=3600689#post3600689

Is that still the right/best way to bump the voltage and raise the speed a bit?Will play with it tonight (incl. trying some other/older drivers) to see whether my scores can be improved. Of course, any tips, tricks, suggestions, etc would be much appreciated.

Thinking of requesting that the title for this thread be changed one more time to 2600k/MVE and multi-gpu benching . :chair:

Question any of these CPU's De-Lidded to gain on the Temps side of things??

AJ.
Howdy Ajay! Newp...no de-lidded cpus here.

Attachments

• 9800gx2.jpeg
    9800gx2.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 9800gx2-2600k-pcm6-30610.jpeg
    9800gx2-2600k-pcm6-30610.jpeg
    322.7 KB · Views: 22
How about Nvidia inspector?? Don't know if it supports the older cards.

Morning Folks!

Well...turns out I can't find my tri-sli bridge *groan* Rather than sit and wait...decided to try a 9800gx2. Did reasonably well with pcm06 (screeny below) but scores on some of the other 3d benches stink so bad I had to crack a window. Even folks running their cpu and gpu at lower speeds are beating the poop out of some of my results :(

The card runs really cool (under water). With stock volts @ 780 the temps never got above 45C (which seems very cool for this card). AB is useless for this card but found an old Hardass thread with this link: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...ods!-(1-3-1-6v-or-more)&p=3600689#post3600689

Is that still the right/best way to bump the voltage and raise the speed a bit?Will play with it tonight (incl. trying some other/older drivers) to see whether my scores can be improved. Of course, any tips, tricks, suggestions, etc would be much appreciated.

Thinking of requesting that the title for this thread be changed one more time to 2600k/MVE and multi-gpu benching . :chair:

Howdy Ajay! Newp...no de-lidded cpus here.

Edited the title... 2600k/MVE & 3D Benching

Thanks once again QuickFast!

Hmmmm....now I'm a little confused. Thought the evga voltage tuner and patch were the way to go but not you point out gputool. Perusing tpu...it looks like sapphire trixx replaced gputool. Anyone?

With only a couple hours of benching time tonight want to figure this out (while still at work) so I can set it up get running as soon as I get home.

Also...will one of these tools also work to up the voltage/clocks on a 3870x2?

Back