• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to, and what to do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

Im getting close to ready to start learning what i need to do with my benching rig, and HWBot.

If i make an account on HWBot, will i be able to later on join the OC.com tea, or will that require a new account?

What would be a good cpu benching software to start with?

Just a suggestion Pierre. Get very familiar with all your gear before making your account. Then join all the rookie rumbles you can. I made the mistake of making an account and waiting about 3 months before I started really delving into it.

Note: "Rookie" does not mean your first year for this.

Just a suggestion Pierre. Get very familiar with all your gear before making your account. Then join all the rookie rumbles you can. I made the mistake of making an account and waiting about 3 months before I started really delving into it.

Note: "Rookie" does not mean your first year for this.

Okay, i need to get an understanding for the motherboard for sure!

Play around with WPrime and Spi , help you learn about getting the speed up on one and multi cores plus ram tweaking. Each time you change something see if it gets better or worse. I also like cinebench for a rough Idea of stability when benching. If it'll run just about everything else will.

I wouldn't say stock, no. You're already overclocked right. Well this isn't so much about stability as it is about squeezing that hardware just to the point where something might break. But stopping before that happens. Stability in benching is finishing the benchmark and getting the screen shot with out crashing. After the screen shot it can crash all it wants. Definately use a seperate SSD, not just a partition cause you'll most certainly blow out the MBR and your main OS will be gone.

I wouldn't say stock, no. You're already overclocked right. Well this isn't so much about stability as it is about squeezing that hardware just to the point where something might break. But stopping before that happens. Stability in benching is finishing the benchmark and getting the screen shot with out crashing. After the screen shot it can crash all it wants. Definately use a seperate SSD, not just a partition cause you'll most certainly blow out the MBR and your main OS will be gone.

Yeah, but my know how as far as OCing at the moment, is higher multiplier, more volt and BLCK. I need to learn about the 400 other features my motherboard offers :thup:

That's why I use a separate system.
I've blown a few BIOS's out, along with MBR's.
And, if a part fries, I'm not out my main system.

Well Piere there's a wealth of knowledge in here and when pushing for that extra little bit, I'm sure some here will guide you . When the time comes start a thread more specific to the hardware you're working with and we'll help all we can. I'm more of the AMD guy, but recently purchased a 775 mobo and a bunch of CPUs , they haven't made it to me yet but they will. I have never even looked under the hood of these systems before but I know if I can't figure it out someone here will push me in the right direction.

Back